• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New phone phishing scam

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New phone phishing scam

Got a call from someone yesterday claiming to be from Google. Indian chap who knew my name, phone number and email address, telling me my email address had been compromised and was sending 'threatening' emails to people.

After googling the number - 0344 800 2400 - which comes up as a Microsoft support number I see there is quite a common scam going round. They want to remote your computer or get you to log on to some website or something equally dodgy.

Next time he rings I'm going to tell him the threatening emails weren't from hackers - I actually sent them. Just to see what he says...
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

I got a kind email from someone who has been paid £30K for "my head on a stick" by a business rival of mine. He'll spare my life if I just transfer £5K to his bitcoin account. I have till the 28th before he hops on a plane to do me in.

Sadly he will be wasting his time as I'll be away on holiday by then.
    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
      I got a kind email from someone who has been paid £30K for "my head on a stick" by a business rival of mine. He'll spare my life if I just transfer £5K to his bitcoin account. I have till the 28th before he hops on a plane to do me in.

My plane will be following you to your holiday destination. And £30K pays for a lot of fuel to get there haw haw haw..

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post

I once got an email from a South African mercenary group demanding money. It had an invoice for body guarding services etc. I was about to delete it when it occurred to me that there was another in another office with exactly the same name as me. It turns out it was genuine and above board, it just came to the wrong guy.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          I once got an email from a South African mercenary group demanding money. It had an invoice for body guarding services etc. I was about to delete it when it occurred to me that there was another in another office with exactly the same name as me. It turns out it was genuine and above board, it just came to the wrong guy.
          Oh well, if there is another Uncle Albert at client co then I'm sorry but I'm not tracking him down to hand him a death threat. I think it's best he knows nothing about this and on a positive note I'll have saved his estate £5k.
          England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
            My plane will be following you to your holiday destination. And £30K pays for a lot of fuel to get there haw haw haw..
            If it's the plane in your picture, unless he's holidaying in Clacton, I don't fancy your chances of making it...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I’ve got a voicemail from HMRC with a final demand and threatening dire things unless I phone a number.

He finished with a flourish ‘This phone call is for YOU!’.

You could just about hear him above the rumble of the call centre.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                I’ve got a voicemail from HMRC with a final demand and threatening dire things unless I phone a number.

Sounds genuine to me.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

At least you know where suity is working these days.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                  X