Well done Geraint Thomas! Well done Geraint Thomas!
Posts 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Still gathering requirements...

    Pat Phelan has no reputation

    Pat Phelan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    42

    Default Well done Geraint Thomas!

    Decent lad, well deserved if he gets across the line tomorrow.
    Always a servant, now the master!
    Back to business!

  2. #2

    Super poster

    Whorty - scorchio!

    Whorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    2,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Decent lad, well deserved if he gets across the line tomorrow.
    Always a servant, now the master!
    Been a cracking Tour. Shame some of the fans, and ex cyclists with their stupid actions and comments have let it down at times, but all the riders (if we exclude Moscon) have been dignified.

    Glad Dan Martin won the combative award too - it was a joy to watch him attack and attack, suffering all the way but never giving up.
    I may not know Karate, but I know crazy and I'm not afraid to use it

  3. #3

    Super poster

    ladymuck is a fount of knowledge

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,402

    Default

    It's been a great tour! I always enjoy watching the TDF and, one day, I hope to see a stage or two live. Annoyingly have been in Spain twice in past few years a week or two either side of the tour coming to the area I was in. Bad planning on my part!

    Initially, I thought Froome would bring it back and win his 5th tour in a row but he just didn't have the legs in the end. Not sure how much the crowds affected him, if at all. Perhaps doing the Gira just before the TDF was one tour too many this year.

  4. #4

    Double Godlike!

    LondonManc is a fount of knowledge


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    10,107

    Default

    Well done Mr Thomas. Great win and sporting of Froome to agree to cede lead position to him rather than invoke team orders.

    Shame about the French fans, spitting at people is a real ****'s trick.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  5. #5

    Super poster

    Hobosapien - scorchio!

    Hobosapien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    LA - la la fantasy land
    Posts
    2,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    It's been a great tour! I always enjoy watching the TDF and, one day, I hope to see a stage or two live. Annoyingly have been in Spain twice in past few years a week or two either side of the tour coming to the area I was in. Bad planning on my part!

    Initially, I thought Froome would bring it back and win his 5th tour in a row but he just didn't have the legs in the end. Not sure how much the crowds affected him, if at all. Perhaps doing the Gira just before the TDF was one tour too many this year.
    Like football, I prefer to watch the cycling on TV. Get video replays and see way more from all the cameras following them. My parents have had the Tour of Britain ride past their house in Devon a couple of times but the speed they ride at it's all over in a blink of an eye. As the commentators said yesterday, at least the final stage around Paris allows the spectators more than just a glimpse.

    As for Froome, I think Team Sky edged their bets against him not being allowed to compete in the TdF due to the inhaler controversy decision pending so close to the start, so kept Thomas fresh as plan B. Worked well in that they had two bites of the cherry and Thomas had better form towards the end when Froome's Giro win (and peaking for the previous grand tour wins) took its toll.

    Will be interesting to see how Team Sky sort out which of them is going for which grand tour victories next year. Will Thomas want to defend the TdF or do a Wiggins and let Froome try to get his 5th win. I laughed at the comments elsewhere that Froome is now a spent force and Thomas will be the team's number one now. The team have two number ones and three grand tours to split between them.

    Hope some of the other teams up their game and challenge Team Sky a bit more, that's why there's so much animosity toward them, they make it so boring being so dominant with their 'sky train' powering through stages. This is why I tend to enjoy watching the women's races more than the men's, they have a lot more successful attacks and break aways and no one team dominating. Shame they don't get more live coverage on the main channels. Even this weekend's Ride London was a relatively boring crit race sprinters circuit around central London for the women where the men had a proper road race.
    Last edited by Hobosapien; 30th July 2018 at 08:09.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

  6. #6

    Super poster

    ladymuck is a fount of knowledge

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Like football, I prefer to watch the cycling on TV. Get video replays and see way more from all the cameras following them. My parents have had the Tour of Britain ride past their house in Devon a couple of times but the speed they ride at it's all over in a blink of an eye. As the commentators said yesterday, at least the final stage around Paris allows the spectators more than just a glimpse.
    Managed to book a hotel yesterday for next year's final stage on Rue de Rivoli in a room overlooking the Jardin des Tuileries, where the race will go past about 8 times.

    It departs from Brussels, with a time trial on the second day, so I might do a weekend there too

  7. #7

    Fingers like lightning

    Spoiler is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    652

    Default

    THEMOVE podcast from LA has been class again during the tour. Great listening !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •