Well done GSK Well done GSK
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Well done GSK

My post count is Majestic

vetran is always on top

Default Well done GSK

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-44801139

A new drug to treat malaria has been given the green light by authorities in the United States.

The medicine is specifically for the recurring form of malaria - caused by the parasite plasmodium vivax - which makes 8.5 million people ill each year.

This type of malaria is a particular challenge to get rid of as it can remain dormant in the liver for years before reawakening many times.

Scientists have described tafenoquine as a "phenomenal achievement."

Regulators around the world will now look at the drug to see if they can recommend it for their populations.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Super poster

ladymuck - scorchio!

I hope it'll be affordable for those that need it most. Malaria tends to affect those countries that don't exactly have a lot of cash going spare.

More fingers than teeth

darmstadt is a fount of knowledge

I shall check with my doctors as I have this although I expect they will tell me that it won't be on the market for at least another decade or so and will then be a rather hefty price
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Contractor Among Contractors

NigelJK is NOT a disguised employee

And of course for it to be available in Europe it will have to rubber stamped in Brussels first.

More fingers than teeth

darmstadt is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by NigelJK View Post
    And of course for it to be available in Europe it will have to rubber stamped in Brussels first.
    Well that could have been done in London at the EMA but...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Contractor Among Contractors

NigelJK is NOT a disguised employee

Well at least you got the gag, but it still remains that (currently) a medicine created by a British company will have to rubber stamped by the EU for use here.

Better than AtW

sasguru - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by NigelJK View Post
    Well at least you got the gag, but it still remains that (currently) a medicine created by a British company will have to rubber stamped by the EU for use here.
    It won't be rubber-stamped necessarily, the approvals process (i.e. clinical trials process) that happens in the UK will have to match the EU standards.
    So it will be rubber-stamped only if the MHRA agrees to follow the EMA standards, lock, stock and barrel.
    Just one of the many processes where the UK will have to abide by EU regs.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

vetran is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    I hope it'll be affordable for those that need it most. Malaria tends to affect those countries that don't exactly have a lot of cash going spare.
    The Gates foundation funded a significant part of the development, their intention is to get it to the poor countries. I imagine that will be by rich countries subsidising it as its a one off injection not an unpleasant 2 week course.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

northernladuk is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    Ain't that the truth

They are going to struggle to make their money back before starting to discount it looking at that map however much Mr Gates is going to put in.

When I worked at a pharma they did lots of good work to get their stuff to poorer countries but their drugs were very popular in the western world. They can make their money back fast before the patents expired so they could afford to help with foundations and the like for the poor. This one doesn't quite look like it's going to make it's money from the western world first.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

MarillionFan is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    It's only half the story though.

What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!