• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Multi focus Contact lenses - Anyone using them?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi focus Contact lenses - Anyone using them?

I googled varifocal contact lenses last week and to my surprise they do exist and are called multi focus contact lenses

So wondering if any of the ageing population on here have tried them and what they are like

good god.....

My eyes are watering at the thought.....
    I've just started wearing varifocal spectacles. They take some getting used to, and that's just a +1 reading prescription.

Most opticians will do you 3 days free of lenses though so give it a try.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
      i googled varifocal contact lenses last week and to my surprise they do exist and are called multi focus contact lenses

so wondering if any of the ageing population on here have tried them and what they are like
      could you type that in a larger font please
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I have got an appointment with specsavers later on today.

I currently us varifocals and tried normal contacts last year but they were useless with my prescription. So hoping the multi focus will be better

Comment

I switched to multi focal contact lenses last year as I found my regular contact lenses were not working and causing near vision to suffer.

It took some trial and error to get right but now all I wear is the multi focals.

The dominant eye is setup for distance vision and the other for near then the brain figures out which image to use and which one to throw away depending on where you are looking.

I find them invaluable and I can now use he car at night and sit in front of a computer at work without using any other glasses.

I use Cooper Vision Proclear Toric multi focal lenses.
          Make sure the optician is versed with fitting multi focals though as they are quite technical to set up and get right.

I had to tell my optician how to do it after I read the fitting assessment that I found online.

Comment

Pardon?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have used vari (multi-) focal contact lenses. They did not work for me, since they didn't not provide sufficient accuity for long distance viewing (ie I couldn't see where my golf balls were landing), nor could I read with them, since they did not provide sufficient magnification. Too many compromises.

This is due to me being significantly myopic (-8.00).

It has been corrected with contact lenses. My dominant eye being corrected for long distance accuity, and my non-dominant for reading - to allow me to use a computer, read my phone.

It works, since your brain takes about 3 days to adjust to this.
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Andy123 View Post
                I switched to multi focal contact lenses last year as I found my regular contact lenses were not working and causing near vision to suffer.

It took some trial and error to get right but now all I wear is the multi focals.

The dominant eye is setup for distance vision and the other for near then the brain figures out which image to use and which one to throw away depending on where you are looking.

I find them invaluable and I can now use he car at night and sit in front of a computer at work without using any other glasses.

I use Cooper Vision Proclear Toric multi focal lenses.
                Make sure the optician is versed with fitting multi focals though as they are quite technical to set up and get right.

I had to tell my optician how to do it after I read the fitting assessment that I found online.
                Heh, that's quite intriguing. I have a squint with a "dominant" eye and people often find it hard to comprehend. Oddly, my glasses correct my weak eye all the up to 6/5 (better than normal!) which then becomes dominant when I wear them. I can switch at will, but subconsciously my stronger eye in each configuration will become dominant.

Interesting to hear that the effect is being used for this.

Comment

Back from specsavers and I have been given some multi focus on trial.

My intermediate and distance vision seems ok but my near vision is not great. Trying to read text on my phone or using the laptop on my lap is just difficult. I tried putting one hand over each eye and neither gives me a good near vision.

I was told I could have one eye for near and the other for distance so might give that a try as well though sounds weird.

Andy123, vwdan is your setup as I described above i.e. one eye for near and the other for distance?

Comment

I found them to be too much of a compromise - not particularly great distance vision and a bit of a struggle near to. In fact, I suspected the multi-focal thing was made-up and they're just a middling strength regular lens at twice the price.

I went back to regular contact lenses that properly correct my short-sightedness and use off-the-shelf reading glasses over them now that I'm getting old and creaky and in need.

The varifocal spectacles I also use are very good though. I adjusted to them with no problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X