• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jezzy resigns

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    only pictures of desert versus 1960 telaviv. probably fake news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UQJmScf8kc

So very similar to Dubai really.

In fact Dubai was and is still much nicer than Tel Aviv
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      So very similar to Dubai really.

In fact Dubai was and is still much nicer than Tel Aviv
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tel_Aviv

Tel Aviv thus grew to 42 square kilometers (16.2 sq mi). In 1949, a memorial to the 60 founders of Tel Aviv was constructed.[51] Over the past 60 years, Tel Aviv has developed into a secular, liberal-minded center with a vibrant nightlife and café culture.[26]
      In the 1960s, some of the older buildings were demolished, making way for the country's first high-rises. The Shalom Meir Tower, which was completed in 1965. was Israel's tallest building until 1999. Tel Aviv's population peaked in the early 1960s at 390,000
      https://dubaization.wordpress.com/op...tory-of-dubai/

When Oil was discovered in commercial quantities in 1966, all contracts went to the British, who sought cheap labor from India and Pakistan. By 1968 immigrant labor consumed 50% of Dubai’s population.[4] This is another important statistic to note; the trend for a large percentage of immigrant laborers was present in 1968 when the population was only 58,000. Although the actual number of immigrant laborers is not as astounding as it is today, the percent is still amazing.

so Tel Aviv in early 1960s had a population of 390,000. Dubai with half immigrant labourer population was 58,000.

Tel Aviv was well ahead long before Dubai moved out of being a fishing village.

By 1964 several towns had running water. Additionally, in 1960 the original master plan for the growing city of Dubai was outlined by British architect John Harris.[5]
      1948 Israel had created an agency & supplied most towns with water. Shockingly they used Israeli Architects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_...tion_in_Israel

Now you might like Dubai built with Oil money to be a holiday destination over Tel Aviv built on commerce in a war to be a home for the Jewish people, but now we know which was built first and under the most stress.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'm not going to get involved in the politics of this but wanted to add some balance to some misconceptions.

My Dad was a WW2 veteran.

He would get arms and munitions delivered to the port of Haifa (then Palestinian) and transport them by land to where he was operating against the Nazis - in Iraq.

I have a lovely photo of him dressed as a Bedouin at the port prior to such a mission, in the background are clean streets, beautiful cars and buildings and lots of locals wearing smart suits. He told me he once lost a shipment due to the Irgun blowing-up the train as they were hampering the British effort.

It's a complex region with more actors than is commonly recorded.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Have you got proof that Israel was much better than Dubai 60 years ago
          A fetid swamp is better than Dubai. I can't imagine why anyone would want to visit such a socially backward country.

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
          ...port of Haifa (then Palestinian part of the British Mandate for Paleistine) .,,
          Palestinians as a an Arabic people group hadn't been invented then. The "Palestinians" in those days meant folk who lived in the British Mandate. This included both Jews and Arabs.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
            I'm not going to get involved in the politics of this but wanted to add some balance to some misconceptions.

My Dad was a WW2 veteran.

He would get arms and munitions delivered to the port of Haifa (then Palestinian) and transport them by land to where he was operating against the Nazis - in Iraq.

I have a lovely photo of him dressed as a Bedouin at the port prior to such a mission, in the background are clean streets, beautiful cars and buildings and lots of locals wearing smart suits. He told me he once lost a shipment due to the Irgun blowing-up the train as they were hampering the British effort.

It's a complex region with more actors than is commonly recorded.
            You say ww2 veteran, sounds very much like he was an evil arms dealer to me destabilising the region.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              You say ww2 veteran, sounds very much like he was an evil arms dealer to me destabilising the region.
              It was ever thus for "UK Plc".
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Arms for British (and British Indian army Sappers) soldiers only.

Comment

the region was very destabilised long before WW2.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    A fetid swamp is better than Dubai. I can't imagine why anyone would want to visit such a socially backward country.

Palestinians as a an Arabic people group hadn't been invented then. The "Palestinians" in those days meant folk who lived in the British Mandate. This included both Jews and Arabs.
                    Its alright Master Bates only looks at the surface. Rank Racism & sexism is acceptable so long as you have clean towels.

Comment

Working...
                    X