• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

European Championships in Glasgow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

European Championships in Glasgow

Has anybody been watching this?

The male cycling time trial is on BBC iPlayer and is really well produced. There is a 10 minute silent introduction, just of the sounds of the area they are filming, as the riders warm up on static bicycles, plus a 5 year old trying to ride a bike by running.

The female time trial was more impressive due to the volume of torrential rain pounding upon the ground as they started and finished the race.

Main issue with the BBC here is they do not allow downloads of these recaps after the events. I hope you are all enjoying the events!

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
    Has anybody been watching this?

The male cycling time trial is on BBC iPlayer and is really well produced. There is a 10 minute silent introduction, just of the sounds of the area they are filming, as the riders warm up on static bicycles, plus a 5 year old trying to ride a bike by running.

The female time trial was more impressive due to the volume of torrential rain pounding upon the ground as they started and finished the race.

Main issue with the BBC here is they do not allow downloads of these recaps after the events. I hope you are all enjoying the events!
    Any recumbent cyclists in the racing?
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Yep, been loving the new concept of merging several sports into one championships, like a mini-Olympics. Helps that I'm 'working' from home and it's quiet at the client with all the permies on holiday so I have the coverage on every day for about 12 hours.

I don't usually bother watching the European championship events when they are held separately as there is usually not much coverage on freeview so at least with this new concept the BBC are covering it.

Particularly enjoyed the swimming now Team GB have more world class swimmers to get amongst the medals and there's no USA and Australia clean sweeping like in the Olympics or Commonwealth Games.

Heptathlon starts today so we'll get to see 'KJT' in her usual depressed can't be arsed throwing stuff state (I put more effort into having a tulip) while Thiam (who knocked Jess Ennis off her throne at the Rio Olympics) shows how it's done.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

It seems to be well covered this year which makes viewing more enjoyable.
        The HD coverage for all channels for the first time and full programmes on iplayer makes for better viewing.
        A shame the Russians have clearly benefited just so much from their years of a state-sponsored doping programme. Whether or not they are doping right at this minute is incidental, given they seem to have made such gains over the past five years. Ruins the medal table.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          Any recumbent cyclists in the racing?
          Your mother could not make it this year. Usual hip problems.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
            Your mother could not make it this year. Usual hip problems.
            I thought the cremation had sorted her hips out.

Thanks for the update.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I normally only watch Olympics and Commonwealth games so this almost passed me by - hadn't even realised it was in the UK - until I happened to catch it just in time to watch Peaty maul everyone.

Seems a great idea.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Looking forward to the cycling road race on Sunday, should be a good sprint finish as I've heard Mark Cavendish and Peter Sagan are going to be there. Hope they all get round OK as it is going to be raining on slippery streets......
                Back to business!

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Phelan View Post
                  Looking forward to the cycling road race on Sunday, should be a good sprint finish as I've heard Mark Cavendish and Peter Sagan are going to be there. Hope they all get round OK as it is going to be raining on slippery streets......
                  Cavendish withdrew yesterday. Not sure if he's ill/injured but he was in the TdF a few weeks ago and left it early as he couldn't make the time limit on one of the mountain stages (along with many of the other top sprinters), so maybe his form isn't quite there and he only enters these things if he thinks he can win something (stage or overall).

The women's road race the other day was interesting in that Netherlands had the outstanding team (loaded with current and former World/Olympic champions), but seemed there were several of them wanting to win at cost of their team mates so they outdid each other on the run in (chasing down their own leader on the road) and ended up losing out in the final sprint.

Hope for rain in the men's to make it a bit livelier.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Speed walking currently on BBC. Never understood the attraction in competing in that, must play havoc with the hips over time, and they always look ridiculous, like they're trying to stop tulipting themselves while they all rush for a loo.

Then there's always some judges red carding them for running when you need a slow mo replay to be sure, which they don't use.

In other news, I hold up my hands, I was wrong about KJT in the heptathlon. She looked a lot better mentally than we're used to seeing and came out with an overall PB on the points total. Still not quite good enough to catch Thiam for gold, coming away with a solid silver, but hopefully KJT can improve the javelin some more to make it a closer battle come the Toyko Olympics.

Comment

Working...
                    X