• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice for a newbie about my job offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the recruiter who you've had the telephone conversations with an agency?

If so they may well be fishing and have no ability to make you an offer before you have a real interview at a client the agency is recruiting for.

If not an agency (and you're 100% sure of that in that you have the client company name and have googled them to know what they are about) then they may still be fishing (head hunting) for people with appropriate skills in your niche.

I would request a face to face where they can decide whether to seek references if you and they want to go ahead afterwards. If they are reluctant to do that then they may be trying it on to get information out of you with no actual work offer. They could be a competitor of your current company doing some form of industrial espionage.

By all means follow it up but be wary and don't risk your current job until you are sure everything is above board and you have a contract in your hand. As already mentioned, if they are offering permie like contracts why are they not interested in taking you on as a permie, where OTT referencing would be more acceptable.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Judging by his raft of recent posts in the prof fora I think the OP will be fine. He appears to know everything and it's not like painting the Sistine chapel or anything so jog on.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Judging by his raft of recent posts in the prof fora I think the OP will be fine. He appears to know everything and it's not like painting the Sistine chapel or anything so jog on.
        Given that he posted on 14th August that he was going to receive an offer last week, do we know if he's had the offer yet?
        (or is he playing billy bulltulip?)
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          Given that he posted on 14th August that he was going to receive an offer last week, do we know if he's had the offer yet?
          (or is he playing billy bulltulip?)
          I think he's busy jogging on.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X