• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shocked, Shocked I tell you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

None of these stats are worth the time of day.

The first article charts arrests, not crimes committed (the origin of the perpetrator cannot be determined anyway) so it's not a terribly useful statistic.

Also, British is defined are born here or naturalised so that's not really very illuminating either.

The quality of stats in this country has become risible.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      oh Benefit Fraud is higher than they thought - again shocked!
      Wrong...Here's the headline:

Ministers launch blitz on Brits who claim benefits while living abroad after 10,000 were sanctioned last year
      Nowhere in the article does it back this up, the 2 cases were people living in the UK:

Examples of recent international fraud included a 54-year-old woman who falsely claimed benefits potentially worth more than £650,000 after hijacking the identities of four people who had left the UK.
      In another case a 55-year-old woman was fined £12,500 for claiming Disability Living Allowance and other benefits even though she had a home in Portugal and had taken more than 70 separate flights in less than five years to places including the USA, France and South Africa.
      And that is the whole point of the DM in one small article, get a headline to grab your attention and then write an article that doesn't back it up. People who believe the DM are people not worth bothering about as they can't see beyond their own boundaries which are created by DM headlines...basically idiots...So from that we could ascertain that the DM is creating a nation of idiots unable to think for themselves
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
        None of these stats are worth the time of day.

The first article charts arrests, not crimes committed (the origin of the perpetrator cannot be determined anyway) so it's not a terribly useful statistic.

Also, British is defined are born here or naturalised so that's not really very illuminating either.

The quality of stats in this country has become risible.
        Crime is lower than it was in the 1990's

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...wales/june2017

...and that is with a rise in the population. The reason for that is the proportion of foreigners has risen, so making Britain a safer place,
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          I'm seriously starting to think you are though. Read this story from your favourite foreigner hating, young woman fancying, hate filled newspaper and tell me what is wrong with it:

Ministers launch blitz on Brits who claim benefits while living abroad | Daily Mail Online
          I love reading the comments on stories like that. You can almost see the dribble and spittle as the enraged red faced Brexiters are typing out their xenophobic bile. Some of the Brexidiots on here should take note, they could learn something from these posters
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            Wrong...Here's the headline:

Nowhere in the article does it back this up, the 2 cases were people living in the UK:

And that is the whole point of the DM in one small article, get a headline to grab your attention and then write an article that doesn't back it up. People who believe the DM are people not worth bothering about as they can't see beyond their own boundaries which are created by DM headlines...basically idiots...So from that we could ascertain that the DM is creating a nation of idiots unable to think for themselves

So the woman with a home in Portugal unless Portugal is a new part of Chiswick was living abroad. Now its possible that the Mail misused the word home and meant second home or holiday home but on the face of it that is where she lives.

home
            həʊm/Submit
            noun
            the place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household.
            "the floods forced many people to flee their homes"
            synonyms: place of residence, accommodation, property, a roof over one's head; More
            an institution for people needing professional care or supervision.
            "an old people's home"
            synonyms: institution, residential home, nursing home, old people's home, retirement home, convalescent home, rest home, children's home; More
            When the DWP investigated the benefits being claimed by the 4 UK citizens living abroad discovered they were being claimed fraudulently - the thief was based in the UK.

So both are totally valid cases, they probably picked the most unusual for effect. Its not all that exciting that someone moved to Germany and is still claiming unemployment benefit.

plenty more here

Benefit fraud

This one ticks all the boxes no wonder the locals set cars on fire.

https://voiceofeurope.com/2018/08/ir...iving-in-iraq/
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Crime is lower than it was in the 1990's

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...wales/june2017

...and that is with a rise in the population. The reason for that is the proportion of foreigners has risen, so making Britain a safer place,
              Ah I see leaps of bigotry with no evidence.

and I see gibbering idiots drooling while they accept fudged figures, plenty fail to report.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8476811.html
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

So the woman with a home in Portugal unless Portugal is a new part of Chiswick was living abroad. Now its possible that the Mail misused the word home and meant second home or holiday home but on the face of it that is where she lives.

Are you seriously trying to to convince anyone but yourself?

When the DWP investigated the benefits being claimed by the 4 UK citizens living abroad discovered they were being claimed fraudulently - the thief was based in the UK.

Examples of recent international fraud included a 54-year-old woman who falsely claimed benefits potentially worth more than £650,000 after hijacking the identities of four people who had left the UK.

So both are totally valid cases, they probably picked the most unusual for effect. Its not all that exciting that someone moved to Germany and is still claiming unemployment benefit.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-germany#benefits

plenty more here

Benefit fraud

This one ticks all the boxes no wonder the locals set cars on fire.

https://voiceofeurope.com/2018/08/ir...iving-in-iraq/
                Big bad colours, maybe the DM could use them on the bits in their reports which are true....
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

and I see gibbering idiots drooling while they accept fudged figures, plenty fail to report.

Crime drops to a 33 year low

One of the reasons is because of the higher level education amongst immigrants with a university degree.

UK attracts highly educated immigrants
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

From your link:
                    "In London, as many as a third of all suspects are from overseas and foreign nationals now comprise 11 per cent of the prison population in England and Wales."
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreig...United_Kingdom
                    "The 2011 census recorded 7,337,139 foreign-born residents in England, corresponding to 13.8 percent of the population".

We can safely assume that the % of foreign born residents has risen since 2011, but for the sake of argument let's take the 13.8% figure from 2011
                    So if 11% of the prison population currently is foreign born, we can conclude that the foreign born are under-represented in the prison population.

And this, folks, is why vetran is tucked away in a non-job where he can't do any harm, while the immigrants do the real work.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I see a very stupid man digging.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X