• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CDLI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    I did love the Ada thing - interesting there was a bug in her original code. But it was only the one which is pretty good as she had nothing to test it on.
    Bugs are intentionally left in source code to help identify plagiarism.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      Bugs are intentionally left in source code to help identify plagiarism.
      That's what we tell our clients, at any rate

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        [*]This Ultrahot Exoplanet Has Metallic Skies - "For the first time ever, astronomers have found iron and titanium in the atmosphere of a planet outside the solar system. The exoplanet, named KELT-9b, is the hottest alien world ever discovered. The planet is so scorching, it's even hotter than most stars.", So, a bit like it was here during July ...
        Seems like practically every solar system (other than ours) where planets have so far been detected has one or more "hot Jupiters", in other words gas giants orbiting close to their sun, and that would obviously make the stable existence of rocky planets like Earth in the habitable AKA "Goldilocks" zone problematic to say the least.

It was recently proposed that at the time our Solar System was first coelescing, a close "fly by" of another star spun out via gravity the gas cloud surrounding the Sun so the gas giants (Jupiter, Saturn, etc) formed from this cloud ended up further out than they would otherwise have been.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Seems like practically every solar system (other than ours) where planets have so far been detected has one or more "hot Jupiters", in other words gas giants orbiting close to their sun, and that would obviously make the stable existence of rocky planets like Earth in the habitable AKA "Goldilocks" zone problematic to say the least.

It was recently proposed that at the time our Solar System was first coelescing, a close "fly by" of another star spun out via gravity the gas cloud surrounding the Sun so the gas giants (Jupiter, Saturn, etc) formed from this cloud ended up further out than they would otherwise have been.
          Percentage-wise, how much mass did the Earth(Gaia) lose/gain when it collided with Theia?
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Excellent set of links as usual NF thank you. They seem to be characterised by the odd quote or bit of info that amused me this week. The fact a chocolate company was sued for saying they made chocolate that was slave free and the argument was it is impossible to make chocolate slave free in this day and age was interesting. (supply chain link)

This one made me giggle in the 8086 link..

You may recognize the substrate bias generator circuit at the center right
            Of course I do! Who wouldn't

These guys have such a passion for what they do. Just wish I was intelligent enough to really digest these highly technical reverse engineering blogs. An HNC in electrical and electronic engineering is just enough to make it interesting but not enough to make much sense of it.

Must admit I found the face transplant a difficult read. It was a bit airy fairy for me. Amazing pictures though, the one of the face on the table. Amazing stuff.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Designing Integrated Circuits - CHM Revolution

Dunno why but none of the images on that site show for me.

The 8087 must have been right at the end of the rubylith era, if not near the start of the CAD era.

These days it's all CAD due to the number of transistors.

Linear stuff has many fewer transistors but is more of a black art.

It takes 5 years to get to be a productive linear designer.

I seem to recall seeing a bunch of designers standing in front of a 6 foot square piece of rubylith which had the design of something significant in semiconductor history but at this late date I have no idea what.

Might have been the 4004.

What isn't mentioned is the need for the supplies to come up in the right order to stop the damn thing from latching up & blowing its brains out.

Here's some pictures from google:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ru...XaeC_GQVVEGvM:
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 20 August 2018, 15:01.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                Designing Integrated Circuits - CHM Revolution

Dunno why but none of the images on that site show for me.

The 8087 must have been right at the end of the rubylith era, if not near the start of the CAD era.

These days it's all CAD due to the number of transistors.

Linear stuff has many fewer transistors but is more of a black art.

It takes 5 years to get to be a productive linear designer.

I seem to recall seeing a bunch of designers standing in front of a 6 foot square piece of rubylith which had the design of something significant in semiconductor history but at this late date I have no idea what.

Might have been the 4004.

What isn't mentioned is the need for the supplies to come up in the right order to stop the damn thing from latching up & blowing its brains out.
                We could do with Zeity here to add his twopenneth.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  We could do with Zeity here to add his twopenneth.

I thought DrStrangelove _is_ Zeity
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Nonsense.

There's nothing lizardlike about me, mein fuhrer.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      I thought DrStrangelove _is_ Zeity
                      Us moderators don't like sockies. Normally it's Cojak or me who goes and does the checking, eventually finding some link buried deep down in the databases.
                      This time we let NAT check. After 4 months of painstaking research he says they aren't the same person, so I think we should let it go at that, OK?
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X