• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sick bankers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sick bankers

Labour condemns 'sickening' Lehman Brothers reunion party

The Labour party has condemned proposals by former Lehman Brothers staff to hold a reunion to mark the 10th anniversary of the firm going bust – a defining moment in the 2008 financial crisis.

John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, said that people who suffered during the decade of austerity following the crash would be “absolutely disgusted” by the revelation that the get-together was going ahead.

His comment was prompted by a Financial News report saying staff who worked for the investment bank, which employed about 5,000 people in the UK, had received an email inviting them to an event to “celebrate” the anniversary.

Addressed to “Lehman Brothers & Sisters”, the email says: “It’s hard to believe it’s been 10 years since the last of our Lehman days! ... One of the best things about Lehman was the people. What better way to celebrate the tenth anniversary than getting everyone from former MDs to former analysts back together again!”

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-reunion-party

gets them all into the same room so we can key their cars!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Will the trader who had a 90% mortgage secured by Lehman's stock, and subsequently went bankrupt and living back with his parents, be there?

Its a bit like asking if Hitler's holiday home should still be open. Should he be forgotten? Or remembered as a warning what can happen if certain elements get power?

Though the thought of John McDonnell getting power is quite scary.

Comment

Demand for coke and hookers will be back through the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
          Demand for coke and hookers will be back through the roof.
          apparently it already is.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ernment-action

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            gets them all into the same room so we can key their cars!
            Most of them will be arriving on Boris bikes, apparently...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

So..who from here got the invite ? None of the current crop here working in financial/investment banking worked there in 2008 ?

Comment

Originally posted by jbond007 View Post
                So..who from here got the invite ? None of the current crop here working in financial/investment banking worked there in 2008 ?
                Nobody, AFAIK. It was in the Graun though.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I worked on a LB project. I'd just joined and suddenly it all went pear-shaped. Hard not to join the dots.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I worked on a LB project. I'd just joined and suddenly it all went pear-shaped. Hard not to join the dots.
                    I can beat that I did some work at Enron (& Saloman bros & LB) but Enron was the only one who took me to the pub and bought me lunch, it was obvious there was something wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X