• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the name of a person you contact for advice with planning applications?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the name of a person you contact for advice with planning applications?

We are considering construction of a cabin in our garden, fully specced up (not a home office) as something one might use as a holiday let or granny flat. Possible business use implications.

We've done a pre-planning application to our local council who raised some points, but we're now a bit like rabbits in the headlights faced with doing the full planning proposal - so much to do we don't know where to start, which regs apply, etc.

There must be people who assist with this for a job but what is that called? I don't think we want an architect (because there isn't any architecture with the building we're looking at). Someone who knows regs inside out and can preempt what the council will complain about to save us time and hassle.

I know a few here have build home offices but anyone done anything like this in scope: https://www.tuin.co.uk/Ben-Clockhous...Log-Cabin.html
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

You could try a chartered surveyor - they know the paperwork, without costing you the price of an architect.

Alternatively you could ask your local council for a list of companies who have had planning approved recently on behalf of others, or just look on the council planning website and go through a few of the recent applications to see what names crop up.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I'm still thinking an architect can help here. My experience was with a garage extension so needed drawings which was a little different to your situation but they still also dealt with all the submissions and advised on what planning/building regs were needed.

I can't help think even if there is no architectural work needed a reputable local one man band will still be able to get the thing through the planning process. I say a smaller one man band as they are not as busy and happier to do the small jobs. I expect you'll have to cross his palm of course but might still be the best option.

I had endless problems with my garage with it being half under ground and next to a main road so the architect was invaluable making the case on my behalf and dealing with a pretty useless planning dept. They also knew the guy personally as they deal with him all the time which was worth it's weight in gold rather than me speaking to faceless strangers quoting numbers.

It could be worth paying a little bit for them to help you through the red tape quicker.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        We are considering construction of a cabin in our garden, fully specced up (not a home office) as something one might use as a holiday let or granny flat. Possible business use implications.

We've done a pre-planning application to our local council who raised some points, but we're now a bit like rabbits in the headlights faced with doing the full planning proposal - so much to do we don't know where to start, which regs apply, etc.

There must be people who assist with this for a job but what is that called? I don't think we want an architect (because there isn't any architecture with the building we're looking at). Someone who knows regs inside out and can preempt what the council will complain about to save us time and hassle.

I know a few here have build home offices but anyone done anything like this in scope: https://www.tuin.co.uk/Ben-Clockhous...Log-Cabin.html

Bob (the builder)

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I'm still thinking an architect can help here. My experience was with a garage extension so needed drawings which was a little different to your situation but they still also dealt with all the submissions and advised on what planning/building regs were needed.

I can't help think even if there is no architectural work needed a reputable local one man band will still be able to get the thing through the planning process. I say a smaller one man band as they are not as busy and happier to do the small jobs. I expect you'll have to cross his palm of course but might still be the best option.

I had endless problems with my garage with it being half under ground and next to a main road so the architect was invaluable making the case on my behalf and dealing with a pretty useless planning dept. They also knew the guy personally as they deal with him all the time which was worth it's weight in gold rather than me speaking to faceless strangers quoting numbers.

It could be worth paying a little bit for them to help you through the red tape quicker.
          Cheers. Yes quite happy to pay a bit and totally appreciate that in some cases, the exact same submission from a known architect might get an easier time of it from the planners than from Joe Public.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Normally you local council will have a building control dept within the planning dept. They are the people responsible for building regs. You need to apply to the for building regs approval. Cost £££. You do not need to quote any building regs for planning. Particularly for something such as you have indicated, and none habitable garden construction (Shed). Just do some pretty drawings of all 4 elevations using visio detailing the materials used and Bobs your builder (uncle).

Any builder worth your hard earned cash will know what he has to do to comply with building regs. Leave it upto them. Just pay yourmoney to the local council to get them to apply the appropriate building regs along with the builder and leave it to them to sort out. That way you will get a building certificate at the end of the process which you will need if you ever want to sell the property.

My local council charge £270 for building regs control.

PS I am currently/have gone through this process now building a double car port and double garage construction. I did all my own planning drawings on Visio

Comment

You will find most planning dept. very helpful in this respect. A previous construction I had build at my previous house, workshop/garage, I had to have someone from the council building control come out and check the foundations with the builder as they had to take a 2 post car lift. The output of the planning application specified a non combustible cladding due to the nature of the building use (and due to me having gas bottles of Oxygen and acetylene on site.

You major concern with wanting a habitable space is specifying the insulation of the concrete (I assume) base on your planning application. Again the local council building control people will help you here.

Comment

You need a planning consultant. Head over to "Homes, Gardens and DIY" on pistonheads forum and seek out Equus.

Comment

You need an Architectural Technician. This is someone who isn't a qualified architect but who is trained to prepare drawings and planning submissions.

A good AT will have the local planning/building regs people on speed dial and will know them very well. He will be able to tell you exactly what you need to do and when you need to do it. He will also have valuable opinions on local builders too. Fees are much less than an architect.

Comment

Working...
                  X