• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What spirits would go with passion fruit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    The flowers are fairly spectacular, you may have seen them before and not realise what the plant was, maybe even thought it was some sort of clematis
    Yeah that's exactly what I thought.. Then I woke up, went outside and got a life :
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      White rum might work, but could be a bit sweet. Otherwise vodka seems the natural choice.
      This, although a good quality dark rum sounds like a good match. Plenty of lime juice would cure the sweetness problem.
      Tequila might be a good shout, but again you'd need a good amount of lime juice.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Yeah that's exactly what I thought.. Then I woke up, went outside and got a life :
        I tend to go outside, pick fruit and make alcoholic beverages, but I guess you need to go outside and get a life. I already have one.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          The flowers grow in the UK fairly easily (in fact they can be a bit of a weed at times), getting the fruit to form and ripen, you'll probably want to be in the south with a warm garden. The flowers are fairly spectacular, you may have seen them before and not realise what the plant was, maybe even thought it was some sort of clematis
          You know, I've seen these just the other week for sale and even spotted the name "passion flower" but never twigged that's where the fruit came from!

They really are stunning and I plan to get some but here in the North East it sounds we'd be lucky to ever see fruit.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            You know, I've seen these just the other week for sale and even spotted the name "passion flower" but never twigged that's where the fruit came from!

They really are stunning and I plan to get some but here in the North East it sounds we'd be lucky to ever see fruit.
            I'm on the South Coast, which helps.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

There is a self fertile edible variety, can't remember it's name but edible should get you there.

Comment

The Old Bengal Bar near Liverpool Street used to serve a spectacularly good gin & passion fruit cocktail called the Gin Spot Sour. They'll still serve it if you ask for it by name, but it wasn't on their revised cocktail menu last time I was there.

Passion fruit coulis would work very well for providing the sweetness as well as the fruit/flavouring, but you'd have to make sure you have enough sour (in the example above, the lemon juice) to balance it.

Comment

This is what my passion fruit look like at the moment. Need more sun.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I've been doing some more research. Although the fruit on mine are edible you really need the Passiflora Edulis which has the same size flowers but coloured more white with a dark spot. They are the ones that produce the typical brown wrinkled fruit you see in the shops and are much more difficult to grow outdoors. The blue flowered ones are much more hardy but, the fruit isn't as nice. I will let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                      I've been doing some more research. Although the fruit on mine are edible you really need the Passiflora Edulis which has the same size flowers but coloured more white with a dark spot. They are the ones that produce the typical brown wrinkled fruit you see in the shops and are much more difficult to grow outdoors. The blue flowered ones are much more hardy but, the fruit isn't as nice. I will let you know.
                      If you search for Big Clive dot com on youtube, you will find he has done some good videos on mixing spirits etc

Comment

Working...
                      X