• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month rule and work place

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Can be triggered for any number of flags. Doesn't mean you can be slap dash with your accounts. You'll only be getting away with it until you aren't so why not do it properly.
    Didn't say you should, just pointed out that it's probably not the biggest risk a contractor needs to be worrying about.

Comment

Ask Client to pay your accommodation for you directly and reduce your weekly invoice by that amount

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
        Didn't say you should, just pointed out that it's probably not the biggest risk a contractor needs to be worrying about.
        The problem with this attitude is you shouldn't mix up the risk of being investigated next month (small) with the risk of being investigated over the course of your career (not so small).

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          There is no hard and fast rule. The general guidance is that for it to be considered a "new" workplace, there should be a significant change to the journey time and/or cost. Distance is not the only indicator (see the classic "bridge" example where a worker needs to work at the other end of a bridge - relatively close but involving a more costly and lengthy journey).
          It's also the general direction of travel that is taken into account along with the square mile rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
            It's also the general direction of travel that is taken into account along with the square mile rule.
            For London generally, I've seen it expressed as travel to the nearest mainline railway station to determine the journey.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              For London generally, I've seen it expressed as travel to the nearest mainline railway station to determine the journey.
              My IR35 investigation was based around travel to Edinburgh

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                Ask Client to pay your accommodation for you directly and reduce your weekly invoice by that amount
                Thank you. I will try to see if the Client will pay directly for the accommodation as this is the most significant cost. I will take a 'hit' on the travel cost if I can get them to agree to this.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLen View Post
                  Thank you. I will try to see if the Client will pay directly for the accommodation as this is the most significant cost. I will take a 'hit' on the travel cost if I can get them to agree to this.
                  Be a bit careful about how you do that. You are not losing the ability to charge expenses to YourCo, only the personal tax relief on such costs. Asking for the full cost of the accommodation will be seen as unrealistic when in reality your costs are only going up by around 20%.

And just as a cautionary note, the usual response is along the lines of "You quoted us a rate for the job, so it's your risk if your expenses have gone up". Think about how you would counter that argument.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                  X