• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

80% of population growth from immigration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    In my mind, there's a difference between a migrant and an immigrant, although people seem to use them interchangeably.
    The latter has permanent connotations - google immigrant and the first dictionary definition I found is "a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country."
    Whereas a migrant might be there temporarily in the sense of birds or fruit-pickers migrating from season to season.

So students may well be migrants but not necessarily immigrants.
    There is some dispute about definitions, but however you define it, that's the distinction I'm making: temporary versus permanent movement.

Counting students who form the bulk of "immigrants" gives a wholly distorted view of how many people are settling in the UK permanently.
    but as you are incorrect in your view how do you like the figures that don't include students?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      And do you differentiate temporary migrants who pay to study from permanent ones, or do you prefer to lump them all together to make your numbers seem bigger?
      I have in the past, included all students - that was called out, by you and I then admitted I was wrong and corrected/retracted the original figures I used.

So although I did in the past, I won't in the future.

Hope that answers your question.
      Originally posted by Old Greg
      I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

What do you mean "Nope"?

According to that link, the govt counts anyone who comes to live here for more than 12 months as an immigrant. That would be the bulk of students.

ANd it seems most people think that shouldnt be so.

If you had a brain it might not be necessary for you to be so humiliated by your appalling ignorance and imbecility every time you post.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          but as you are incorrect in your view how do you like the figures that don't include students?
          DOh! And double doh! Now wipe the drool off the keyboard and try again.

https://www.ft.com/content/1c61c180-...a-903b21361b43
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

In my mind, there's a difference between a migrant and an immigrant, although people seem to use them interchangeably.
            The latter has permanent connotations - google immigrant and the first dictionary definition I found is "a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country."
            Whereas a migrant might be there temporarily in the sense of birds or fruit-pickers migrating from season to season.

So students may well be migrants but not necessarily immigrants.
            There is some dispute about definitions, but however you define it, that's the distinction I'm making: temporary versus permanent movement.

Counting students who form the bulk of "immigrants" gives a wholly distorted view of how many people are settling in the UK permanently.
            You realise that your position is basically trying to create an artificial distinction between permanent and temporary migrants?

IM-migrant - in
            EM-migrant - out

The prefixes simply tells you the direction of the migration. Students coming over here are by definition immigrants, just not permanent.

Ps. The first result on google for immigrant states 'usually', not 'always' for permanent migration...
            ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
              You realise that your position is basically trying to create an artificial distinction between permanent and temporary migrants?

IM-migrant - in
              EM-migrant - out

The prefixes simply tells you the direction of the migration. Students coming over here are by definition immigrants, just not permanent.

Ps. The first result on google for immigrant states 'usually', not 'always' for permanent migration...
              Oh shut up you fool. I didn't bring the word emigrant into the discussion.
              Old Bean has humiliated himself, I suppose the apple doesn't fall far from the tree
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

What do you mean "Nope"?

According to that link, the govt counts anyone who comes to live here for more than 12 months as an immigrant. That would be the bulk of students.

ANd it seems most people think that shouldnt be so.

If you had a brain it might not be necessary for you to be so humiliated by your appalling ignorance and imbecility every time you post. - translation I AssGuru can't communicate without insulting people which is why most people laugh at me
                FTFY

they then count them out again so they don't affect the net figures which is what I meant.

If you don't include them in the figures you can't see if students affect net migration. =
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Oh shut up you fool. I didn't bring the word emigrant into the discussion.
                  Old Bean has humiliated himself, I suppose the apple doesn't fall far from the tree
                  No, but you did use the word IMmigrant and so, I explained it to you, using simple terms (in case you didn't take my advice to take your meds)

You're one to talk after your post #26 - sas being an imbecile have you taken your meds now?; so you think everyone forgets you were the imbecile?
                  ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    FTFY

they then count them out again so they don't affect the net figures which is what I meant.

If you don't include them in the figures you can't see if students affect net migration. =
                    They DON'T count them out - that's the fooking point.

Departure of people from the UK is not checked (unless you're on a terrorist watch list) except sometimes through a survey in the airport.

So essentially the student figures completely distort the immigration statistics - It's possible most stay here (although a student visa doesn't allow you to) or its possible they all go, we'll never know.
                    Last edited by sasguru; 23 August 2018, 14:40.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
                      No, but you did use the word IMmigrant and so, I explained it to you, using simple terms (in case you didn't take my advice to take your meds)

You're one to talk after your post #26 - sas being an imbecile have you taken your meds now?; so you think everyone forgets you were the imbecile?
                      You're clearly a non-talented fookwit so I was quite correct.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X