• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Teresa May announces an additional £4Billion tax money for young people

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teresa May announces an additional £4Billion tax money for young people

Hip hip hooray

Ohhh Hang on its in south Africa

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45325701

HYS comment

So we're giving up trading preferences in aerospace and automotive goods with France and Germany - in order to trade tunnocks tea cakes and some rotting vegetables (sorry cant get the staff these days) with Lesotho and Bourkino Faso?

All because some aged snowflakes object to Polish food in Tescos and want a Blue passport?
    - so true

Have you seen how much China has invested in Africa recently? Look at Kenya - they are quickly loosing themselves into China's debt. Honestly I think the UK is jealous that they din't think of it first.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 28 August 2018, 10:16.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      HYS comment

- so true

Have you seen how much China has invested in Africa recently? Look at Kenya - they are quickly loosing themselves into China's debt. Honestly I think the UK is jealous that they din't think of it first.
      You have to ask yourself

"What do they(Africa) have that we(The Rest of The World) need?"

And...

"What do we do when it's all gone?"
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

May is sensible in saying aid should be linked to the UK's interest, as it once was. No reason why not. Growing African economies by mutual deals that benefit both sides will reduce poverty and save far more lives in the long term than mosquito nets, food handouts etc. Properly scrutinised deals in the UK's interest should also result in less waste propping up corrupt dictators or supporting those overspending, money wasting charities.

Much of the growth in Africa over the past decade has been due to investment by the Chinese in return for raw materials. Hasn't done either side any harm.

PS Except for the poor little rhinos and elephants!
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Who'd have thought a train from Nairobi to Mombassa would have better reliability than the Ashton to Kings Cross service

450km built at a cost of 3.5billion dollars. HS2 £52b for 150km.

Chinese-built Mombasa-Nairobi railway gaining popularity in Kenya

Last edited by scooterscot; 28 August 2018, 14:31.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Who'd have thought a train from Nairobi to Mombassa would have better reliability than the Ashton to Kings Cross service

450km built at a cost of 3.5billion dollars. HS2 £52b for 150km.

Chinese-built Mombasa-Nairobi railway gaining popularity in Kenya

Whilst I agree HS2 is a shambles. I think it's a different type of project with different challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              Hip hip hooray

Ohhh Hang on its in south Africa

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45325701

If this was Corbyn the MSM would be in overdrive calling him a terrorist sympathiser. But it's the right wing so it's a trade deal.

Comment

If this was Corbyn the MSM would be in overdrive calling him a terrorist sympathiser. But it's the right wing so it's a trade deal.
                I think that's in your imagination, you need to rid yourself of this victim mentality.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  Whilst I agree HS2 is a shambles. I think it's a different type of project with different challenges.
                  Didn't the Chinese put the bodies of dead workers in the foundations?

In the Great Wall of course but there's nothing to say that they've changed that practice.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                  X