• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solicitors are they more of a rip-off than IT contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I wouldn't go with a solicitor recommended by the agent though. Chances are some of that fee is going to them in commission.

Always get quotes from local and web-based conveyancers. I prefer local as you can just pop into the offices to do things like verify your identity and sign documents without the worry of losing things in the post.
    My thinking was that yep there would be a kick-back to the agent but the agent will want a decent solicitor that gets things done quickly and without hassle for them.

Good idea about the local solicitor.

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
      £2400 - for an average IT contractor, that's about 5 days worth of work.

In that time, a solicitor will sell your entire house for you.
      As you know I'm well below the average IT contractor. If I had known the solicitor would sell the house, I would have saved on the estate agent fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        Bought and sold in 2015 and solicitor fees (excluding searches, land registry etc) was £2.5k so seems right. Compared to stamp duty this was small change!!!!
        Yeah stamp duty is a kick in the balls, but at least I knew how much that was.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I wouldn't go with a solicitor recommended by the agent though. Chances are some of that fee is going to them in commission.

Always get quotes from local and web-based conveyancers. I prefer local as you can just pop into the offices to do things like verify your identity and sign documents without the worry of losing things in the post.
          What is this "post" you speak of?

Every document, including proof of identity was just scanned and uploaded to their portal directly. No post involved. Premier property lawyers

Completed on our house sale & purchase in January this year using an online solicitors. Total solicitors costs, excluding stamp duty was £1508 for sale and £999 foer the sale (£2507 total)

We also used Purple brick to market the property we were selling at a cost of £948 as apposed to 2% of the sale price saving ourselves another £ 10K (ish).

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            Yeah stamp duty is a kick in the balls, but at least I knew how much that was.
            Have you found the £60/90? stamp durty registration fee the cobbing runts charge for the inconvenience of banking that 5 percent of the purchase price

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
              What is this "post" you speak of?

Every document, including proof of identity was just scanned and uploaded to their portal directly. No post involved. Premier property lawyers

Completed on our house sale & purchase in January this year using an online solicitors. Total solicitors costs, excluding stamp duty was £1508 for sale and £999 foer the sale (£2507 total)

We also used Purple brick to market the property we were selling at a cost of £948 as apposed to 2% of the sale price saving ourselves another £ 10K (ish).
              Sounds like you did pretty well on keeping the costs down. We paid £1850 to sell our house with the estate agents, after haggling the price down. We also knew the estate agent had a waiting list of people wanting to move to the area (number of houses sold recently here before hitting the internet), which swayed us.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                Have you found the £60/90? stamp durty registration fee the cobbing runts charge for the inconvenience of banking that 5 percent of the purchase price
                That's like making you bend over and then pay for the lubrication.

Comment

That's like making you bend over and then pay for the lubrication.
                  You have dealt with NLyUK before then?
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'm buying and selling a house and quoted 2.4k to handle the sale of my house and the purchase of another.

It seems so straightforward, why would it cost 2.4k? Is this a normal going rate? This is a solicitor recommended by the agent of the house we are buying, any recommendations on choosing a solicitor?

God, please forgive me for posting this in general.
                    Just remember, if there's any f**k up, you can sue the solicitor. You can probably get a straightforward conveyancing job done for £500-800, by some pensioner working out of his kitchen, but you almost certainly shouldn't.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                      5 percent? I take it you bought a barn which hasn't been converted yet...
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X