• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solicitors are they more of a rip-off than IT contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Just remember, if there's any f**k up, you can sue the solicitor. You can probably get a straightforward conveyancing job done for £500-800, by some pensioner working out of his kitchen, but you almost certainly shouldn't.
    Gotta be a pretty good **** up. I sued a solicitor for messing a purchase of a flat up. Hidden in the lease was a clause that I couldn't rent it out and the flat management company decided to pull it 4 years in. Right pain the bloody arse suing solicitors I can tell you.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      £2.5k is like daily growth in house prices.

BUY BUY BUY!!!

HTH

DimPrawn
      Pretty much, when you consider all the BTL properties combined.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Pretty much, when you consider all the BTL properties combined.
        Have your got a hotel yet?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Have your got a hotel yet?
          One on Mayfair and one on Park Lane.

Comment

5 percent? I take it you bought a barn which hasn't been converted yet...
            Eh? This is up north mate, that included Osbourne's additional-3%-for-being-a-flash-cant-with-more-than-one-house surcharge

Barns that haven't been converted aren't so cheap these days. Unless, like my mate, you happen to hear of a chap in severe (gonna declare bankruptcy in the morning style) financial distress, and make him a most reasonable offer

Comment

Just remember, if there's any f**k up, you can sue the solicitor. You can probably get a straightforward conveyancing job done for £500-800, by some pensioner working out of his kitchen, but you almost certainly shouldn't.
              Don't tell me what to do! What's this pensioners name and contact details?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Gotta be a pretty good **** up. I sued a solicitor for messing a purchase of a flat up. Hidden in the lease was a clause that I couldn't rent it out and the flat management company decided to pull it 4 years in. Right pain the bloody arse suing solicitors I can tell you.
                Did you win?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  Did you win?
                  I did if you can call it that. It took bloody years due to them knowing every delay tactic in the book. I then had to deal with their PI insurance solicitors who, in a nutshell tried to strong arm me in to a lesser settlement or see me in court mean I had to put to a 4 to 5 figure sum to pay for it and get it back at the end. Finally folded and accepted a figure at 50% less than I claimed for and then found out I have to put in to a pot that paid shared the costs between the solicitors. Never understood it as I'd had enough by then. Absolute disgrace it was. I won, got some money yet still felt like I'd had my pants pulled down by the whole system.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Well my experience of the solicitors so far has been far from encouraging.

I went for the one recommended by the estate agent for the house we are buying. For anyone that is interested the estate agent gets a £500 kickback for the recommendation.

Had to get rid of the first solicitor because they managed to get my name wrong 3 times and on the 4th try managed to get the misses name wrong. Also, they managed to add up their fees incorrectly (by a fair amount in my favour).

So, anyway after reading NLUK post, I decided to not take chances and got rid of them. Changed to another solicitor and they seem better so far. Managed to spell our names correctly and everything, so all looking rosey.

Still think its a big con, and sending out 40 page docs when only 3 or 4 are required just seems to be padding the work out.

I will bore you all with my upcoming house move... look forward to more moaning about solicitors, house moving companies and internet speeds at the new house.

What's the fastest anyone has managed to complete a sale and buy a house? Is November looking realistic?
                    Last edited by woohoo; 12 September 2018, 09:36.

Comment

For what it is worth, I am paying £2.1K including VAT with £500-ish of that being land registry fees. It's the stamp duty bit that gets up my nose.

Comment

Working...
                      X