• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Filthy Thieving Tory Scum News: Hammond homes in on pensions tax relief

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filthy Thieving Tory Scum News: Hammond homes in on pensions tax relief

Tax relief that encourages contractors and other pension savers to build up a nest egg has been seen in the sights of Philip Hammond, the chancellor, ahead of his autumn Budget 2018.

Targeting top earners, by tightening the annual allowance or the lifetime allowance, has been described by a contractors’ adviser as a “perennial story” for media titles to run.

But Mr Hammond now reportedly regards the £40,000 and £1million thresholds (only above which tax is levied on pension contributions) as “the last remaining pots of gold we can raid.”

Reducing the thresholds, which the adviser - CMME - has said contractors use as a ‘valuable tool for tax-efficiency,’ would help the chancellor fulfil a £20billion NHS spending vow.

And despite HM Treasury reporting better than expected tax receipts returning the biggest July surplus for 18 years, it would also show a revenue-hungry Mr Hammond to be making firms (not just people) pay their ‘fair share.’

This is because, when floated previously, cuts to higher rate tax relief on pensions were envisioned as being made via tax returns, so that company contributions could be caught too.

At present, contractors can invest up to £40,000 per tax year either personally or via their limited company, with a tax saving equating up to 64% because for every £100 invested, the contractor pays just £36 and the taxman pays the rest.

Source: https://www.contractoruk.com/news/00...ax_relief.html

Also, I read that ER is under threat. I cannot tell you how much I loathe this Government, and the previous one, and the one before that.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
      Also, I read that ER is under threat. I cannot tell you how much I loathe this Government, and the previous one, and the one before that.
      Was there ever one you liked? Churchill perhaps?

Comment

Who in their right minds likes any government? Hate a bit less than others maybe.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

If Hammond wants a pot of gold, try Swindon.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            Yep, looks like it - feckers want to shaft entrepreneurs again.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
              New Labour were awesome - taper relief, max income tax rate of 40%, house prices going only up, lovely savings interest rates of 5%+...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                New Labour were awesome - Magic Money tree and uncontrolled migration.
                FTFY
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I bet you are regretting not voting for Corbyn. You reap what you sow. But at least now you lot can wake up and smell the coffee.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    I bet you are regretting not voting for Corbyn

Comment

Working...
                    X