• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

War Chest vs Day Rate vs Monthly Outgoings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War Chest vs Day Rate vs Monthly Outgoings

Thought I would try something, which may work, or fail spectacularly!!

I would be interested to gauge the size of other contractors war chests. Appreciate that very few people will want to give out specifics £ figures, so thought we could do it as:

1. Ratio to day rate: so £40k war chest against £400 / day = 100
    2. Ratio to monthly personal outgoings: so £40k war chest against £4000 / month = 10

I will start...

1. 125
    2. 14

Don't all rush to answer....

How about IQ / ego. Let's call it the CUK golden cretin ratio.

Sasguru: ~0

Comment

I won't, but you're being unnecessarily complicated, and starting from the wrong end.

Mine was budgeted to cover 6 months without fee-earning work to cover all necessary personal bills and spending after taxes. In the event I once ran for 14 months on the bench, but that was exceptional: most gaps between gigs were 2-3 months. Once you have that six month buffer (or whatever you're happy with) then all else is bonus.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by JIG1 View Post

I would be interested to gauge the size of other contractors war chests. Appreciate that very few people will want to give out specifics £ figures, so thought we could do it as:

1. Ratio to day rate: so £40k war chest against £400 / day = 100
        2. Ratio to monthly personal outgoings: so £40k war chest against £4000 / month = 10

I will start...

1. 125
        2. 14

Don't all rush to answer....

For what reason may I ask ? My warchest fluctuates, as does day rate. So this will change from contract to contract and even whilst in contract. Should I average this out per contract or x month period ?

Comment

1. 400
          2. Peanuts

Comment

Given there's been some rumblings about Hammond starting to try and target Ltd Director pension contributions, lifetime allowances & specifically, ER......is it going to be a viable strategy going forwards?
            Originally posted by Old Greg
            I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
            ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
              Given there's been some rumblings about Hammond starting to try and target Ltd Director pension contributions, lifetime allowances & specifically, ER......is it going to be a viable strategy going forwards?
              Now, that is a good question, and a better one to ask than the OP’s.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by JIG1 View Post
                :
                You posted it in General so most definitely the latter.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Intrigued as to why you need to know this information.

As mentioned above, I also aim to ensure 6 months of bills are covered (at least). I would never go to the bother of working it out as you have; it's a waste of time.

Comment

Stone me, I had an extensive warchest even as a permie.

It saw me through 20 months of unemployment, though interest rates at the time meant I could live on the interest.

Now I'm an it's even greater & assuming inflation doesn't reach 100% it ought to see me ok for a while.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                    X