• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What will a Brexit No Deal mean for current software systems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not that long ago I was supporting NATS (National Air Traffic Services) in Swanwick. They've been developing a EU wide air traffic control system for some while now. Lots of cash has poured into varies projects supporting a single European sky effort. It makes a lot of sense to harmonise software systems with controllers throughout the EU. Much has already been done on software development in Swanwick and is necessary considering how busy the skies are becoming. Like the Galileo project, the whole thing has been thrown into doubt. Utter madness.

https://www.nats.aero/about-us/ses/
    Last edited by scooterscot; 4 September 2018, 09:03.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Not that long ago I was supporting NATS (National Air Traffic Services) in Swanwick. They've been developing a EU wide air traffic control system for some while now. Lots of cash has poured into varies projects supporting a single European sky effort. It makes a lot of sense to harmonise software systems with controllers throughout the EU. Much has already been done on software development in Swanwick and is necessary considering how busy the skies are becoming. Like the Galileo project, the whole thing has been thrown into doubt. Utter madness.

Do not seem to struggle to fly to Switzerland?

There is no reason not to continue with this - but I guess because we are not greasing the palms of corrupt politicians they will take offence?

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
        No, no, no, no! Don't let facts get in the way!

It's going to be much, much worse than y2k! The world as we know it will cease to exist!!!

Zig - In "sasguru" mode!
        close but no cigar cretin!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          close but no cigar cretin!
          Damn, I thought I'd nailed it with those rolling smilies!
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

CAA were not the most switched on customer for a previous employer, Sold a solution for few million and then the project team trebled it with 'extras'.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              Do not seem to struggle to fly to Switzerland?

There is no reason not to continue with this - but I guess because we are not greasing the palms of corrupt politicians they will take offence?
              The volume of air traffic going through Europe on a daily basis does not fly to Switzerland.

I agree, there's no reason not to continue with this. However, exitUK will be following EU laws to ensure fit form & function expect and we'll not have the same influence on the project. So lets hope future EU decisions mean Swanwick does not have to be teared down and re-built from scratch.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                CAA were not the most switched on customer for a previous employer, Sold a solution for few million and then the project team trebled it with 'extras'.
                Yes, Swanwick now have an onsite Starbucks & a sous chef who'll make you a dish of your choosing after selecting your veg etc

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  No, no, no, no! Don't let facts get in the way!

It's going to be much, much worse than y2k! The world as we know it will cease to exist!!!

Zig - In "sasguru" mode!
                  The Uk is already 2nd rate: dirty streets and fly tipping are rampant, not enough police, people dying needlessly in one hospital scandal after another, long waits to see your GP.
                  After Brexit, the above will only get worse.
                  In your more intelligent episodes, you know I'm right.
                  But anyway who gives a toss, I'm well out of it.
                  Good luck, hope it works out.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yes, Swanwick now have an onsite Starbucks & a sous chef who'll make you a dish of your choosing after selecting your veg etc
                    Dave that you?

Congrats for bringing that coffee trailer in only 3 months late & 3 times over original budget that should be a real feather in your cap

Comment

NATS, a truly horrible place to work - corporate hell par excellence
                      Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
                      X