• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Serena Williams

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    On the one hand this seems pure caricature which isn't racist. On the other people say this exact style was widely used for racist purposes and now, like calling someone the N-word, nobody can claim they don't know it will be taken that way. It mostly seems OK to me.

However this is Naomi Osaka

She is a black/japanese woman with skin nearly as dark as Serena's, and brown frizzy hair. Why is she portrayed as a skinny, white woman with a blonde ponytail?
    How do you know they're representing the match against Ms Osaka in the caricature?

The Umpire for the match against Osaka wasn't white either, yet there in the cartoon he's as white as the blonde girl.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      How do you know they're representing the match against Ms Osaka in the caricature?

The Umpire for the match against Osaka wasn't white either, yet there in the cartoon he's as white as the blonde girl.
      I don't think they meant to represent A match.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
        Massive hissy fit..

And then to blame it on sexism. I was expecting her to play the race card next.

She's supposed to be a professional sports-person. Pathetic.
        said while playing the gringo card ..

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Quite. How is it any different from the political cartoons, the one of Boris Johnson in today's Independent, for example?

https://www.independent.co.uk/
          context. focusing solely on the odd example would have kept us on the frozen tundra. patterns dear boy, patterns....

Comment

On the one hand this seems pure caricature which isn't racist. On the other people say this exact style was widely used for racist purposes and now, like calling someone the N-word, nobody can claim they don't know it will be taken that way. It mostly seems OK to me.

She is a black/japanese woman with skin nearly as dark as Serena's, and brown frizzy hair. Why is she portrayed as a skinny, white woman with a blonde ponytail?
            Monkeying this thread up son.

Perspective and context... Is there a difference between me saying you look like a Monkey and saying that Gareth Bale looks like one? What if I am black myself?

Is there a difference between me joking about the power of the tax man with my wife and me sharing jokes about that topic in the Tax Loans thread on this very site.

Caricatures can be very racist.

Comment

I actually watched the match. She bleached her hair:

It was awful behaviour, Williams stole her victory moment. She should be banned (for a while).

Comment

Originally posted by cloudy View Post
                said while playing the gringo card ..
                eh?
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                  eh?
                  have you never heard of the gringo card?

Comment

Originally posted by cloudy View Post
                    have you never heard of the gringo card?
                    he's Greek?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Because she claims men are not penalised. i.e. it wasn't wrong how she was penalised, BUT men seem to get away with it.
                      It's like a driver being given a speeding ticket and then complaining that though they were speeding, other speeding drivers weren't being given tickets.

If you broke the rules and were penalised for it, woman up and take it like a woman!

Comment

Working...
                      X