• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bizarre conversation about driving speeds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bizarre conversation about driving speeds

Got into conversation about driving with new contractor at clientco who happened to live near me. He said he drove to work at 90mph if he could whereas I said I can't be bothered with the extra hassle, stress, speeding tickets so stick to 7omph. Its 15 miles to approx 2 mins extra I said.

His answer was no it doesnt work like that. It can be up to an hour or more if there is an accident and if hes going 90mph he would miss it and I might get stuck in it if I was behind him.

Now that made my head hurt a bit because its just plain stupid. I did try to explain that yes those two minutes extra on the road did mean I'd be more prone to an accident but it wasnt really that much of a chance.

He also said he ALWAYS speeds through traffic lights on amber because if you miss one, then its more of a delay.

I ended up feeling this person doesn't have the mental capacity to be allowed to drive.....

(although saying that I'm sure if I asked my mrs she'd think the same as this guy!)
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Any other tales that make you look clever that you want to regale us with?
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Perhaps setting the alarm clock to go off 10 minutes earlier might do the trick. Stopped commuting 10 years ago, don't know why people still do it. I guess for the same reason hamsters like running in a wheel to nowhere.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Nah you are right he is a ******.

Probably the sort of person to park on a box junction - because him getting home 2 minutes earlier is more important that obeying traffic laws.

And unless all you do is drive on the motorway for those 15 miles then the likely hood of him doing 90 to your 70 is unlikely to ever gain him more than 30 seconds to a minute tops.

Does he drive an Audi, a beemer or more recently it seems Merc drivers have become cocks.

Comment

Are you sure he's not just messing with you? My Go-To windup for Miss Daisy types is that I always go as fast as possible in the snow, as the less time I'm out there the less chance I have of getting into an accident.

Plus, nobody else is stupid enough to be doing 100+ in the right hand lane in the snow.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            Are you sure he's not just messing with you? My Go-To windup for Miss Daisy types is that I always go as fast as possible in the snow, as the less time I'm out there the less chance I have of getting into an accident.

Plus, nobody else is stupid enough to be doing 100+ in the right hand lane in the snow.

Driving in the right lane in the snow is good advice, particularly if nobody else has - that way the snow isn't compacted down so you've a chance of getting some grip on the road.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              Any other tales that make you look clever that you want to regale us with?
              I is clever

Was this person you then? :-)
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Great post Bro. Would read again.
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

He's probably one of those guys who always sits in the right hand lane during congestion, and never notices he's overtaking the same trucks again and again.

I used to commute around the M25, and gradually noticed this phenomenum. The leftmost lane tends to flow better at busy times. It changed my driving style, as now as soon as I see congestion up ahead, I get into the leftmost lane (or rightmost on the continent).
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    He also said he ALWAYS speeds through traffic lights on amber because if you miss one, then its more of a delay.
                    You don't do that in Bradford...

Comment

Working...
                    X