• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gender pay gap in professional tennis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    I was being sarcastic.

Sorry, completely missed the sarcasm there... too many people being too PC nowadays, I tend to take all comments about feminism seriously

Comment

Originally posted by Scotslaw View Post

Sorry, completely missed the sarcasm there... too many people being too PC nowadays, I tend to take all comments about feminism seriously
      What is this PC of which you speak?

Comment

As a believer in the free market (anything else is based on subjective values) I reckon they should get a proportion of the profit their matches generate.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          As a believer in the free market (anything else is based on subjective values) I reckon they should get a proportion of the profit their matches generate.
          That would have the makings of a huge controversy... remember what happened with Chris Pratt/Bryce D H? A huge lot of subjectivity would come into play, unless they auctioned off tickets to highest bidders and let the market decide.

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Normally in showbiz you earn a percentage of gate money. That would be the fairest way, if you fill a stadium (regardless of gender) then you get more than someone else who doesn't.
          That would make sense for a lot of the invitation-type tournaments, where the promoter has a say in who plays which match.
          But in an open tournament, especially the big ones, tickets for the key matches probably sell out in advance, no matter who ends up playing them.
          And the smaller matches aren't likely to attract as much interest. So, why would the AELTC give a Wimbledon finalist a % of the take if their finals tickets are sold out 3 months in advance?

Comment

That would have the makings of a huge controversy... remember what happened with Chris Pratt/Bryce D H? A huge lot of subjectivity would come into play, unless they auctioned off tickets to highest bidders and let the market decide.

That would make sense for a lot of the invitation-type tournaments, where the promoter has a say in who plays which match.
            But in an open tournament, especially the big ones, tickets for the key matches probably sell out in advance, no matter who ends up playing them.
            And the smaller matches aren't likely to attract as much interest. So, why would the AELTC give a Wimbledon finalist a % of the take if their finals tickets are sold out 3 months in advance?
            Why do you care so much? Are you directly impacted? Or working as a business analyst for a sports promotion firm?

Comment

So negotiate - which is exactly what happened. The Men's agents said X won't do it for less than Y where they could, the ladies agent obviously didn't manage that.

Chris Evans doesn't earn shedloads for being the best broadcaster he does so because his team are the best negotiators.

On the big contests they play for fame not money. Once they have fame or maintain fame they exploit it to make money other ways. Maybe Serena needs to make a perfume?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                You have to remember that some female tennis players are mothers and therefore tennis is not their only job, and the 2nd job , motherhood, is unpaid. Therefore they are entitled to shorter games and more pay. simples.
                You have a good points there. I think women tennis players should also be given one day off per month with pay.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  Why do you care so much? Are you directly impacted? Or working as a business analyst for a sports promotion firm?
                  No personal stake, just righteous indignation.

Comment

No personal stake, just righteous indignation.
                    Do you get as indignant about the disparity between men and women footballers, or cricketers, or rugby players, or about the coders sat next to you?

Or is it only the (rare) instance where a woman is paid more than the men?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      So negotiate - which is exactly what happened. The Men's agents said X won't do it for less than Y where they could, the ladies agent obviously didn't manage that.

Chris Evans doesn't earn shedloads for being the best broadcaster he does so because his team are the best negotiators.

On the big contests they play for fame not money. Once they have fame or maintain fame they exploit it to make money other ways. Maybe Serena needs to make a perfume?
                      That's an interesting concept...
                      Tennis moving down the route of European football or American National League sports. An opportunity to add millions to their earnings in sports fees in addition to ongoing endorsement earnings.

Comment

Working...
                      X