• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gender pay gap in professional tennis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Do you get as indignant about the disparity between men and women footballers, or cricketers, or rugby players, or about the coders sat next to you?

Or is it only the (rare) instance where a woman is paid more than the men?
    In all cases really... this one is just very visible.
    I don't really see the justice in attaching reward for anything else apart from performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotslaw View Post
      I don't really see the justice in attaching reward for anything else apart from performance.
      You do talk tulipe!

What makes you think Women want equality?

It's revenge that they're after!
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Excellent. I searched for your post ranting about the disparity between the Arsenal men’s and women’s teams, where not only is the pay disparity far far greater than in tennis but there’s a trophy (performance) difference as well.

Can you help me out here and show me where that one is?

Comment

Do you get as indignant about the disparity between men and women footballers, or cricketers, or rugby players, or about the coders sat next to you?

Or is it only the (rare) instance where a woman is paid more than the men?
          I do have a problem with someone who we have never heard of with limited appeal who then complains they aren't paid the same as a superstar. You are worth what you are worth, by all means go and get it and if sexism is truly stopping you then fine I support your fight.

The tennis deal is a perfect example the ladies want to be paid the same as male stars for events but work fewer hours and draw smaller gates. The money paid is the result of years of negotiation and AIUI no sexism is visible.

So would you pay a female salesman who works 40 hours a week and brings in a million the same as a male salesman who works 60 hours and brings in five million? or indeed vice-versa?

We do need to help women share childcare with men so they can be equal in effort. However a lot of female high achievers (CEOs etc.) either don't have children or have extensive paid help.
          Last edited by vetran; 13 September 2018, 12:58.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Excellent. I searched for your post ranting about the disparity between the Arsenal men’s and women’s teams, where not only is the pay disparity far far greater than in tennis but there’s a trophy (performance) difference as well.

Can you help me out here and show me where that one is?
            I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were just trolling my post. Suddenly your last 2 posts make a lot of sense.
            You seem to have a lot of unresolved issues my friend, I suggest you misdirect your anger somewhere else.
            Meanwhile, if you have anything constructive to add, please feel free.

Comment

I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were just trolling my post. Suddenly your last 2 posts make a lot of sense.
              You seem to have a lot of unresolved issues my friend, I suggest you misdirect your anger somewhere else.
              you have a stalker!

Comment

Not at all, just noting the discrepancy between your professed motives of indignation at payments, and your only post about it appearing to be towards women being paid the same or more.

So, no other posts complaining about higher paid men then? That makes your previous post a lie and looks, well, misogynistic at best.

And of course all the other male posters with issues with women come out in support. No surprise there, the usual suspects that need to assert their dominance over women to rescue their manhood.

Comment

Not at all, just noting the discrepancy between your professed motives of indignation at payments, and your only post about it appearing to be towards women being paid the same or more.

So, no other posts complaining about higher paid men then? That makes your previous post a lie and looks, well, misogynistic at best.

And of course all the other male posters with issues with women come out in support. No surprise there, the usual suspects that need to assert their dominance over women to rescue their manhood.
                  A lesson in some basics when it comes to evaluating an argument and presenting a counter argument:

1. Absence of evidence to support one argument does not automatically prove the opposite. In this case, just because I haven't posted about the gender pay gap in favour of men, doesn't mean I don't feel strongly about it.

2. Ad-hominem: a very basic tactic used by almost anyone who doesn't want to discuss the merits and demerits of an argument... instead they attack the person presenting the argument. The personal characteristics of the presenter, or their views on other matters, or other views on the same matter do not have any bearing on the argument being presented.

Your comments have neglected to address the topic raised, instead meanders on other topics which might seem connected, but really aren't.

In case you missed it the first few times you read my posts... I believe that discriminating against or in favour of any person is wrong, and reward should only measure up to contribution.
                  If you believe that the way to correct any gender pay gaps is to introduce new ones in the opposite direction, then you are deluded at best.

If you have anything to say about THE TOPIC OF THE POST, rather than the people who are posting it, please go ahead.
                  Otherwise take your ad hominem nonsense and troll some other thread.

Comment

plenty of women on this list earning quite deservedly more

Note most of the well paid men are older

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44792074

Though I much prefer George Aligyah more pleasant than Vanessa Feltz.

Sports & Radio seem to command the highest salary, maybe there is more competition for them.

I am quite surprised Mary Berry is so low being the presenter of a massively popular program.

Comment

A lesson in some basics when it comes to evaluating an argument and presenting a counter argument:

1. Absence of evidence to support one argument does not automatically prove the opposite. In this case, just because I haven't posted about the gender pay gap in favour of men, doesn't mean I don't feel strongly about it.

2. Ad-hominem: a very basic tactic used by almost anyone who doesn't want to discuss the merits and demerits of an argument... instead they attack the person presenting the argument. The personal characteristics of the presenter, or their views on other matters, or other views on the same matter do not have any bearing on the argument being presented.

Your comments have neglected to address the topic raised, instead meanders on other topics which might seem connected, but really aren't.

In case you missed it the first few times you read my posts... I believe that discriminating against or in favour of any person is wrong, and reward should only measure up to contribution.
                      If you believe that the way to correct any gender pay gaps is to introduce new ones in the opposite direction, then you are deluded at best.

If you have anything to say about THE TOPIC OF THE POST, rather than the people who are posting it, please go ahead.
                      Otherwise take your ad hominem nonsense and troll some other thread.
                      Are you new in General? You seem a bit thin-skinned.

I prefer an evidence-based argument, and on the evidence so far your only interest is in pointing out where women are paid more than men. It might be ad hominem, but it also helps to understand your agenda and to evidence your lie that you’re interested in ALL pay discrepancies.

Comment

Working...
                      X