• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

property prices in Edinburgh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just flew back from Edinburgh last night after inviting a number of estate agents round for their opinion. All in the same ballpark, at least 10x of a professional's income. Insane.

Gave the job to a local agent. Discounted another because I knew he was a leave voter, even though his services were a little cheaper!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Make sure you post a linky so we can get our "sealed bids" though your letter box. Any advance on one jobbie in a flaming envelope?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Just flew back from Edinburgh last night after inviting a number of estate agents round for their opinion. All in the same ballpark, at least 10x of a professional's income. Insane.

Gave the job to a local agent. Discounted another because I knew he was a leave voter, even though his services were a little cheaper!
        You sad little man. I bet you piss sitting down.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Asking price is not as important as how quickly it will sell at that price. Better to be too high and negotiate down than be too low and get a sale as soon as it hits the market. (Not that I'm familiar with how it all works in Scotland. )

As with many people in London with multi million pound terrace houses, it's a no-brainer to sell up at such a high price if you don't want to continue living in such an expensive part of the country. It will buy a much nicer place elsewhere, or keep it in cash and buy cheap assets if the world economy does crash soon.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Keeping the cash in gold until the correction is over.

The part I'm struggling with is handing a 1.25-1.5% fee over to the agent. In Germany it is the purchaser that would usually pay the fee, not the seller. Regardless, charging almost £10k as a fee for selling is taking the pi$$. Estate agents days are coming to and end and I think they know.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Keeping the cash in gold until the correction is over.

The part I'm struggling with is handing a 1.25-1.5% fee over to the agent. In Germany it is the purchaser that would usually pay the fee, not the seller. Regardless, charging almost £10k as a fee for selling is taking the pi$$. Estate agents days are coming to and end and I think they know.

Aye fixed rate agents such as Purple Bricks will take over as people are squeezed into negative equity where every cost towards clearing their debt becomes an issue.

It's been a long time coming, those greasy agents (of all kinds ) don't like being seen for what they are.

Once fixed rate becomes the norm (among the normal people, the high end will still have commission based agents fleecing the rich, the price they pay to keep away from the plebs) then the margins will be squeezed even further as the competition forces them down.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Might have just sold me Edinburgh pad in time...

First house price fall in England since 2012

Increase in properties coming to market in east central Scotland and Edinburgh

Everyone is jumping ship. 'Short' that market

Comment

Working...
                X