• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Some great contractor stories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some great contractor stories

While searching for Freelance Informer content I came across a number of wonderful old contractor stories by the late Malcolm Cowen.

True Life - Malcolm Cowen's Pages

Thanks, enjoyed that. Although some of his stories seem a bit tame compared to what I could tell - when you've worked in the City, you'll invariably have come across some of the biggest and most incompetent bulltulipters - and what's more they'll have attitude.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Thanks, enjoyed that. Although some of his stories seem a bit tame compared to what I could tell - when you've worked in the City, you'll invariably have come across some of the biggest and most incompetent bulltulipters - and what's more they'll have attitude.
      Yes, I agree with you, rather tame stories.

It reminds me of many years ago I contracted with one of the major UK banks. I was shocked to see that the credit-card transactions were sent overnight by modem to a PC in ASCII text and then saved onto a floppy disk. The floppy disk was then removed and and copied to a file-server in comma delimited text form and scripted into the customers account. Not only was there no error checking but also it was open to anyone to alter or delete text at will.

Some years later, the same bank was writing an online banking programme by a class idiot. it was full of security holes but they insisted they knew what they were doing until the inevitable happened...
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I worked in the City for 20 years, thereabouts. The worst projects by far are defence; a whole new level of muppet but worst of all they think they are the dogs-b*.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
          I worked in the City for 20 years, thereabouts. The worst projects by far are defence; a whole new level of muppet but worst of all they think they are the dogs-b*.
          If you think defence is bad you should try the NHS or network rail, both make defence look perfect in every way.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
            If you think defence is bad you should try the NHS or network rail, both make defence look perfect in every way.
            That I can imagine is perfectly true, I don't mind people being crap - I mean that's why they call in a contractor, it's being sure you are amazingly talented at the same time that does my head.

Comment

the credit-card transactions were sent overnight by modem to a PC in ASCII text and then saved onto a floppy disk
              Wasn't that back in the happy days before hackers existed? Don't remember any viruses in my Fortran IV.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Wasn't that back in the happy days before hackers existed? Don't remember any viruses in my Fortran IV.
                PC?, floppy disk? credit card? - what magic is this??

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post

Yep. Obviously, a lot of ex-forces people work in defence who look down on those who are not ex-forces. Trouble is a lot of them inc some really bad managers act like their still in the forces.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    possibly not that early but

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...ays-of-hacking
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X