• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taxes need to rise to cover NHS £20bn boost, warns IMF

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxes need to rise to cover NHS £20bn boost, warns IMF

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I agree with this.

Though, I think care in hospitals is quite patchy, never quite sure why one ward is a shambles yet few corridors down its great.

Would love to see more money spent on looking after old people. Having spent time finding a home for a relative, the difference between homes is amazing, some down right awful places. We have found a really good place but would love to see more money invested into this because you know that old people without families will automatically be pushed into the awful places.

So yep I would be happy for a significant increase in tax if it led to significant improvements.
    So baby boomers have had affordable housing compared to salaries, free university education, ability to hit the equity release just as interest rates get to zero to load up on BTLs, guaranteed state pension, AND now they want money invested in their retirement care?

;-)

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      So baby boomers have had affordable housing compared to salaries, free university education, ability to hit the equity release just as interest rates get to zero to load up on BTLs, guaranteed state pension, AND now they want money invested in their retirement care?

;-)
      yep

HTH
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

;-)
        Now you put it like that, we need to him them hard with taxes and make their old wrinkly faces cry.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          Now you put it like that, we need to him them hard with taxes and make their old wrinkly faces cry.
          Given that there are some baby boomers with not very much, and some with a significant amount (mainly in fixed assets), some form of rebalancing through inheritance taxation seems like a fair way to rebalance the wealth across that age bracket.

Wealthier boomers should be paying more to support their less wealthy peers.

Comment

The ones earning more are already paying more than those that couldn't be rsed. They will also pay more in the totally unfair inheritance tax.

Comment

Given that there are some baby boomers with not very much, and some with a significant amount (mainly in fixed assets), some form of rebalancing through inheritance taxation seems like a fair way to rebalance the wealth across that age bracket.

Wealthier boomers should be paying more to support their less wealthy peers.
              you probably want to look at that small percentage that make a great deal of money and pay little tax e.g. contractors. Maybe also look at those that use far more resources than they contribute because they don't care about others.

Maybe if you can't afford a house or rent maybe you should ask why houses are so expensive for you when they were relatively cheap for us? There are a number of simple to understand reasons which we had little control over.

Instead you can get your knickers in a twist about the previous generation who worked hsrd, paid taxes and bought a house.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                you probably want to look at that small percentage that make a great deal of money and pay little tax e.g. contractors. Maybe also look at those that use far more resources than they contribute because they don't care about others.

Maybe if you can't afford a house or rent maybe you should ask why houses are so expensive for you when they were relatively cheap for us? There are a number of simple to understand reasons which we had little control over.

Instead you can get your knickers in a twist about the previous generation who worked hsrd, paid taxes and bought a house.
                Cool story bro, but I’m not the one complaining that more money needs to go into looking after old people.

Comment

IR35 in private sector will make up for that shortfall

Comment

I'm guessing that the old people who need this support are often the same people who have needed state support, or at least not contributed their fair share of taxes, for much of their lives.

Having worked in the poorly paid engineering sector, I never earned what some of you lot seem to but, given my savings and property value, I very much doubt that the state will have to pay for my care home. Unless I am senile for a very long time.

PS You already are comments! Yes I know!
                    PPS No, I'm just drunk.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      I'm guessing that the old people who need this support are often the same people who have needed state support, or at least not contributed their fair share of taxes, for much of their lives.

Having worked in the poorly paid engineering sector, I never earned what some of you lot seem to but, given my savings and property value, I very much doubt that the state will have to pay for my care home. Unless I am senile for a very long time.

PS You already are comments! Yes I know!
                      PPS No, I'm just drunk.

Comment

Working...
                      X