• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Natwest...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    WTF have devs got to do with a production systems outage?

who lets devs anywhere NEAR a production system?
    RBS seem to Have you tested it ? Oh Yes ! OK, deploy to production yourself then, save all that faffing about with release notes and backups.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

It will be poorly tested code promoted up at the insistence of project managers who are on a bonus if they get it in by a particular date/cost.

How many corners can be cut to make sure they hit their deadline/budget.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        It will be poorly tested code promoted up at the insistence of project managers who are on a bonus if they get it in by a particular date/cost.

How many corners can be cut to make sure they hit their purely made up and only there to please some director somewhere deadline/budget.
        ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
          RBS seem to Have you tested it ? Oh Yes ! OK, deploy to production yourself then, save all that faffing about with release notes and backups.
          They must have changed a lot since i was last there then.
          I've seen people lose the will to live trying to get a change approved there

Mind you, that wasn't applications, more infrastructure.

Comment

Commerzbank is fine, never had an outage in fact
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

They must have changed a lot since i was last there then.
              I've seen people lose the will to live trying to get a change approved there

Mind you, that wasn't applications, more infrastructure.
              Depends when you were there. I was there in '99 and it was as you describe.

They made us bring in a team of site engineers and spend six months training them to plug in new branch servers and branch clients, which were then handed over to my team for config/commissioning remotely. It's quite difficult to fill six months showing someone how to take a server out of a box and plug it in, stick the network cable in and switch it on. Weekly meetings with branch execs to give presentations on how the 'training' was going......now I think they just slap any old sh1t into prod.
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                I’m furious. It was only this morning that I set up my new company /DROP TABLE Current Accounts
                let me guess your name is "Little Bobby Tables"?

https://xkcd.com/327/
                Last edited by vetran; 21 September 2018, 13:14. Reason: should provide a link for those who don't know xkcd
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  Depends when you were there. I was there in '99 and it was as you describe.

They made us bring in a team of site engineers and spend six months training them to plug in new branch servers and branch clients, which were then handed over to my team for config/commissioning remotely. It's quite difficult to fill six months showing someone how to take a server out of a box and plug it in, stick the network cable in and switch it on. Weekly meetings with branch execs to give presentations on how the 'training' was going......now I think they just slap any old sh1t into prod.
                  ah, - i was on the mainframe side.

Comment

Clearly not a developer. Been to plenty of companies where management ignore processes due to silly time scales.

Also some places only allow devs on production where some don't. In the SharePoint world it's the devs how deploy to live (mostly) due to complex applications and if anything were to go wrong they could easily fix it rather than getting some support guy from admin in Poland or India to figure what on earth is going on.

Also when you have massive layoffs like the banks have been doing you only have a small team and most are in India or Poland. I'm supprised most know how to get changed in the morning. Plenty of times I have witnessed them messing around on production servers not following the deployment guides the dev team have laid out running code they shouldn't be and deleting things they have no idea about hence why a lot of places are now allowing devs to deploy to live to mitigate that risk. Obviously still needs documentation / testing and approval / admin overlooking live deployment.
                    Last edited by cosmic; 21 September 2018, 13:02.

Comment

Welcome to DevOps or DevOops as it is informally known.

"Continuous integration and delivery, bringing the fiasco to your customers quicker."
                      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                      X