• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where do you live and work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live in Cheshire whilst work all over. Last 3 years comprises USA, Germany, Cambridge, Newcastle and now Lincoln.

Mon thro' Thu in decent hotels and then at some stage fly/drive Fridays.

As a rule, have to be on site to do my job.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
      Grantham is a dump, as you know. I live not far away. You have to remember the train commute is longer but your train clips along at 110-125 mph and stops maybe once only. Also if you get a cheap 1st ticket from Grantham, they give you a Full English Breakfast! It's not that bad on the tube from Kings Cross to the City, or to Canary Wharf. The great thing is your kids don't get beaten up going to and from school. A mate of mine gets up at 4 am and drives to the London suburbs just so his kids live in a safe environment.
      Yeah Grantham is a smeghole and I speak as a proud yella belly.
      Lincoln is far nicer and there are now direct trains to Kings X.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

In my very own bomb shelter, guaranteed 100% resistant to Cobalt Thorium G.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Yeah Grantham is a smeghole and I speak as a proud yella belly.
          Lincoln is far nicer and there are now direct trains to Kings X.
          Nope, no direct trains the KGX from Lincoln, you have to change at Retford or Newark. Minimum 2 hour journey.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
            What the **** is it to you you nosy bugger?

Currently live in Crawley and commute to London Bridge (35 mins). Crawley is brilliant because it is near a lot, and it’s relatively cheap given it’s on the London-Brighton line, but it’s not a great place to raise a family (weekly stabbing; very average schools etc.)

Very seriously (may put in an offer next week) thinking of moving to Lincolnshire near Grantham, but my job (BA) and industry (insurance) still very heavily London based. 70 minutes into Kings X, plus faf at either end.

It’s doable, but would work better if some home-based days and 2-3 days in the office. New contract doesn’t “like” home working, although may be scope for negotiation down the line. Do clients like their contractors to be visible, or have any of you wangled more flexible arrangements?
            Try hertfordshire for convenience, but if you want cheaper housing, maybe not.
            can't be dearer then crawley i think, but i'm not an estate agent.
            green and pleasant in the main though ;-)

Comment

The people's republic of Sluff and I work wherever the Party tells me to.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Live in a country where I will still have freedom of movement to work in other EU countries easily. Mainly WFH but from tomorrow I shall be working in Washington, Orlando, Little Rock and Poughkeepsie (and possibly Canada somewhere) for a month or so...
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Scotland, with the exception of the English language it has it all

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    Nope, no direct trains the KGX from Lincoln, you have to change at Retford or Newark. Minimum 2 hour journey.
                    I can get to KGX quicker than than from Leeds (1hr 59 mins if you get the 7am train that only stops in Wakefield) and dirt cheap living!
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Live in central Liverpool, work about 20 minutes away in South Liverpool.
                      Liverpool gets a lot of bad PR nationally, but offers a great quality of life and relatively cheap housing.

Comment

Working...
                      X