• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where do you live and work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't asking for PII with no reason to be collecting it a GDPR no no by the way?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
      thinking of moving to Lincolnshire near Grantham,
      Grantham is a dump, as you know. I live not far away. You have to remember the train commute is longer but your train clips along at 110-125 mph and stops maybe once only. Also if you get a cheap 1st ticket from Grantham, they give you a Full English Breakfast! It's not that bad on the tube from Kings Cross to the City, or to Canary Wharf. The great thing is your kids don't get beaten up going to and from school. A mate of mine gets up at 4 am and drives to the London suburbs just so his kids live in a safe environment.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Live in Manchester, current gig is in Halifax but they've given me a laptop so I work from home 2/3 days a week.
        • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
        • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Live in West Lahndahn
          Client is based in Canary Wharf, I turn up to the offices occasionally - usually when there's leaving drinks. Also work from Glasgow a fair bit. Have yet to do a Tarby and take my work dynamite fishing.

Comment

Live in semi-urban Hampshire, work in rural Hampshire.

Comment

Luton and Romford
              Currently working on a 'smarter working' programme to get 50% of the workforce (circa 2500ppl) mobile and working remotely.
              Whether it happens remains to be seen. I usually WFH 1 day a week. I could do more but I find having a 14 month old means my productivity at home is greatly reduced.

my last gig at NHS was like finance, they have to see you to know you are working....utter tulip

Comment

What the **** is it to you you nosy bugger?

Currently live in Crawley and commute to London Bridge (35 mins). Crawley is brilliant because it is near a lot, and it’s relatively cheap given it’s on the London-Brighton line, but it’s not a great place to raise a family (weekly stabbing; very average schools etc.)

Very seriously (may put in an offer next week) thinking of moving to Lincolnshire near Grantham, but my job (BA) and industry (insurance) still very heavily London based. 70 minutes into Kings X, plus faf at either end.

It’s doable, but would work better if some home-based days and 2-3 days in the office. New contract doesn’t “like” home working, although may be scope for negotiation down the line. Do clients like their contractors to be visible, or have any of you wangled more flexible arrangements?
                Why not consider moving a bit further south, along the Brighton mainline? Plenty of small towns but still close to the coast, London, Gatwick, etc.

Comment

Pembrokeshire, SW Wales. Work in Somerset and Berkshire. Don't ask why but put it this way, I know the M4 pretty well. Not away all week.

Comment

Jersey/WFH for 1 more week before starting something new in Jersey.

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

What the **** is it to you you nosy bugger?

Currently live in Crawley and commute to London Bridge (35 mins). Crawley is brilliant because it is near a lot, and it’s relatively cheap given it’s on the London-Brighton line, but it’s not a great place to raise a family (weekly stabbing; very average schools etc.)

Very seriously (may put in an offer next week) thinking of moving to Lincolnshire near Grantham, but my job (BA) and industry (insurance) still very heavily London based. 70 minutes into Kings X, plus faf at either end.

It’s doable, but would work better if some home-based days and 2-3 days in the office. New contract doesn’t “like” home working, although may be scope for negotiation down the line. Do clients like their contractors to be visible, or have any of you wangled more flexible arrangements?
                      Stalker Alert

What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X