• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where do you live and work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monaco, Las Vegas
    Back to business!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Nope, no direct trains the KGX from Lincoln, you have to change at Retford or Newark. Minimum 2 hour journey.
      In effect you're right. The first direct train doesn't arrive until 09:24. However earlier one-change services seem quite slick. 05:26 getting you in for 07:28 is not bad although a tad expensive at £50 a day.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

South East Wales....

Lot of my gigs involve international travel (to Ingerlund) every day but Bristol, Cheltenham, Gloucester is not that far. Never work away from home ever.

Currently lucky to have a gig in Cymru in the 'Diff
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
          Pembrokeshire, SW Wales. Work in Somerset and Berkshire. Don't ask why but put it this way, I know the M4 pretty well. Not away all week.
          Fair trek that is mind. Used to work with a guy in Gloucester who drove from Port Talbot every day. Nuts - especially since the rate was REALLY crap.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Black Country is where I live but.. North London is where i stay during the week mostly to work.

Comment

Thanks all - food for thought.

We aren't looking at Grantham exactly - more surrounding areas (Sleaford and nearby villages), so 20 minute drive + 65 minute train + 10 minute tube for me will be a typical London commute. Doable, but could be a bit much 5x a week, but certainly less than some of you contend with!!

Not particularly tied to Sussex, and whilst we've looked locally, Lincolnshire is appealing to us as :

1). Commute is similar to outer areas of Sussex (e.g.: Uckfield, Horsham) away from London-Brighton line;

2). Houses in our budget are ludicrously large vs what we would get daan saarf;

3). Schools - Lincolnshire has some great local schools and, controversially, still has the grammar system.

Accepted an offer this morning so have spent most of my day on Rightmove....

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post

We aren't looking at Grantham exactly - more surrounding areas (Sleaford and nearby villages), so 20 minute drive + 65 minute train + 10 minute tube for me will be a typical London commute. Doable, but could be a bit much 5x a week, but certainly less than some of you contend with!!

Not particularly tied to Sussex, and whilst we've looked locally, Lincolnshire is appealing to us as :

1). Commute is similar to outer areas of Sussex (e.g.: Uckfield, Horsham) away from London-Brighton line;

3). Schools - Lincolnshire has some great local schools and, controversially, still has the grammar system.

Sussex is overrated. I grew up there and suffered the Brighton main line for years. Roads out are similarly dire. There's many better value places to live with better connections. No idea why it's so over priced.

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post

Sleaford is a toilet. Good place to purchase amphetamines though (it was in the late 80s anyway).

Not all Lincolnshire has the grammar school system.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    Nope, no direct trains the KGX from Lincoln, you have to change at Retford or Newark. Minimum 2 hour journey.
                    Last time I was in Kings X there was a Virgin train with Lincoln Central written on the side. Which was made me think they do a direct service.

Like this here. Booking Engine

OK there aren't many but they do run.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Canvey Island, Whitstable

Comment

Working...
                      X