• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where do you live and work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the **** is it to you you nosy bugger?

Currently live in Crawley and commute to London Bridge (35 mins). Crawley is brilliant because it is near a lot, and it’s relatively cheap given it’s on the London-Brighton line, but it’s not a great place to raise a family (weekly stabbing; very average schools etc.)

Very seriously (may put in an offer next week) thinking of moving to Lincolnshire near Grantham, but my job (BA) and industry (insurance) still very heavily London based. 70 minutes into Kings X, plus faf at either end.

It’s doable, but would work better if some home-based days and 2-3 days in the office. New contract doesn’t “like” home working, although may be scope for negotiation down the line. Do clients like their contractors to be visible, or have any of you wangled more flexible arrangements?

Live in Surrey, and for the last 6 years have worked from home with the occasional drive to Heathrow or Gatwick to visit clients (UK/EU/US/Japan).
    As and when we move house, I’ll want to be reasonably close to a local airport (or direct rail link) that can get me to international airports.

You either need to live somewhere close to multiple potential clients (if your skillset has a client base that are in one general locality), live somewhere that you can get to clients easily, or live somewhere and accept the travel. It’s things like that which is why many contractors are single or don’t have young dependents.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Home/Home.

Comment

cUK & cUK
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Currently on the bench so flying to France this afternoon....

When back, I live in Cheshire and will be working mid-week in Central London living in a military club hotel enjoying a good restaurant and chatting with old soldiers. Not bad for £40 a night

Comment

Solihull and London for the next 6 months

Comment

Nottinghamshire, about 30 minutes up thre A1 from Grantham.

Current client is a hours drive from home and I WFH two days a week. Almost every client I've worked for has either allowed or encouraged flexible working. The finance sector seems to be the one that really doesnt like it.

Grantham is a tuliphole. You'd be better off going a bit further north to Newark. Newark to Kings Cross trains run direct with one stop at Peterborough and take 80-90 minutes with lots of choice.

Newark is a decent town, lots of good pubs and resteraunts, choice of supermarkets, good ameneties and decent schools.
              Last edited by DaveB; 21 September 2018, 10:16.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Kent and Central London. 1hr 40 mins door to door (providing SouthEastern get their act together) but we love where we live and I enjoy the gig so can handle the commute.
                We got the Oystons out like we said we would

Comment

I live on the South Staffs / West Mids border. Currently work <1hr away which is nice, but historically all over. Considerable stints in London, but also elsehere too. Generally not commutable, though I can normally wangle Late Monday starts and Early Fridays and a bit of WFH.

It is what it is, I don't want to live in London even though a lot of work is down there and I quite enjoy it. That and my nice village life house with a bit of land for potential becomes a postage size box in some tuliphole.

Grantham is a tuliphole
                  Don't under estimate this. It's also a tulip to get to.

Comment

I live in Capua and work at the Ludus of Lentulus Batiatus. The best Gladiatorial school in all of Rome.

HTH
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X