• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm 29 Years Old With Nearly $1,000,000 In Debt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    It wasn't a financial crisis, it was a banking crisis.
    Wikipedia disagrees.

HTH BISDI

Comment

It's not that it is wrong as much as that financial crisis is a broader term for banking crisis.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        It's not that it is wrong as much as that financial crisis is a broader term for banking crisis.
        Well as the old saying goes, if you owe the bank 80k you have a problem. Owe a million and they have the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          I remember those seminars on how to become a property millionaire starting by putting down a deposit on a credit card.....
          Where are they now eh?

Probably sitting on £10m worth of property equity.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
            Indeed. Teaser rates they could afford. Once that ended they were stuffed.

Also playing a part was mortgage securitization. And the reuniting of retail and investment banks.

I heard of someone at Lehman. £4m house. £4m mortgage. Secured on Lehman shares. So when Lehman went, he ended up with his parents.
            As I recall, it was recently shown that much of the turmoil in the US housing market arose from middle class (in the British sense) people using easily-obtained mortgages to purchase multiple BTL properties, then walking away from their "investment" when things started going pear shaped. Though many people on lower incomes undoubtedly screwed up, they were far from being the crux of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              As I recall, it was recently shown that much of the turmoil in the US housing market arose from middle class (in the British sense) people using easily-obtained mortgages to purchase multiple BTL properties, then walking away from their "investment" when things started going pear shaped. Though many people on lower incomes undoubtedly screwed up, they were far from being the crux of the problem.
              According to the Big Short film, it was people getting BTL, but it wasn't middle class, it was working class.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The working classes are about to be rogered again. And it's not their fault. Still should provide some nice buying opportunities.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Would make for a good subject in the Monday links ...

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                    Would make for a good subject in the Monday links ...

Indeed
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X