• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm 29 Years Old With Nearly $1,000,000 In Debt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 29 Years Old With Nearly $1,000,000 In Debt

First the banking crisis... and if you're in any doubt you should now realise a full blown debt crisis is about to explode in our faces. It is exactly this that'll cause a slump on spending & asset prices.

The interviewers expressions are priceless.

Last edited by scooterscot; 27 September 2018, 09:48.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

living with their parents on $310k owing $1,000,000.

Flipping heck
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

In 2008 there was a debt crisis. Solution - more debt.

Sooner the bubble bursts the better - lets get house prices down.

Comment

I see Pooper deleted his nonsense post.

However, looking at Financial crisis of 2007–2008 - Wikipedia

The US Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission reported its findings in January 2011.[52] It concluded that:

... the crisis was avoidable and was caused by:

widespread failures in financial regulation, including the Federal Reserve's failure to stem the tide of toxic mortgages;
        dramatic breakdowns in corporate governance including too many financial firms acting recklessly and taking on too much risk;
        an explosive mix of excessive borrowing and risk by households and Wall Street that put the financial system on a collision course with crisis;
        key policy makers ill prepared for the crisis, lacking a full understanding of the financial system they oversaw;
        and systemic breaches in accountability and ethics at all levels.
        — Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission – Press Release – January 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post

However, looking at Financial crisis of 2007–2008 - Wikipedia

The US Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission reported its findings in January 2011.[52] It concluded that:

... the crisis was avoidable and was caused by:

widespread failures in financial regulation, including the Federal Reserve's failure to stem the tide of toxic mortgages;
          dramatic breakdowns in corporate governance including too many financial firms acting recklessly and taking on too much risk;
          an explosive mix of excessive borrowing and risk by households and Wall Street that put the financial system on a collision course with crisis;
          key policy makers ill prepared for the crisis, lacking a full understanding of the financial system they oversaw;
          and systemic breaches in accountability and ethics at all levels.
          — Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission – Press Release – January 27, 2011
          I always thought the light blue touch paper moment was when Clinton observed that people on lower incomes were rarely offered mortgages, so he regulated to encourage lending to them. This ultimately became the toxic debt.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
            I always thought the light blue touch paper moment was when Clinton observed that people on lower incomes were rarely offered mortgages, so he regulated to encourage lending to them. This ultimately became the toxic debt.
            Indeed. Teaser rates they could afford. Once that ended they were stuffed.

Also playing a part was mortgage securitization. And the reuniting of retail and investment banks.

I heard of someone at Lehman. £4m house. £4m mortgage. Secured on Lehman shares. So when Lehman went, he ended up with his parents.

Comment

What nonsense post? You've lost the plot...
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It wasn't a financial crisis, it was a banking crisis.

A financial crisis is still to come. The financial crisis is the collapse of FIAT currencies from emerging markets, which will eventually flow into the US, UK and even may collapse the derivatives market. It is already begun with the selling of US debt. The US will be forced to increase interest rates to compensate. In so doing it'll ignite the debt crisis.

The debt crisis is something else entirely. Entitled Westerners believing they should have it all and accumulating massive debts in the process. New monied Chinese are falling into the same trap. When the consumers decide not to spend anymore the stock markets will pullback.

After all those crisis are showing signs of receding I'll consider converting my gold back into FIAT. Perhaps buy a Pied-à-terre in Chelsea to save me using awful Heathrow airport hotels.

Comment

I remember those seminars on how to become a property millionaire starting by putting down a deposit on a credit card.....
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                    I remember those seminars on how to become a property millionaire starting by putting down a deposit on a credit card.....
                    The ones you were invited to by a taxi driver who had done the same?

Comment

Working...
                    X