• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This Kavanaugh thing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So why don't they allow an FBI investigation if he's innocent ?

American Bar Association calls for FBI investigation

I found it strange that Kavanaugh didn't want one. Are we really to believe she mixed up who assaulted her ?

Why doesn't he call her a liar ?

Doesn't really add up, you need to show a motive for all these women making accusations.

It seems that the only argument that the Republicans have is that the Democrats are using it to scupper the nomination. Isn't that what they're supposed to do ?
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

The timing alone is enough to give one "reasonable doubt" as to the truth of her allegations.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        So why don't they allow an FBI investigation if he's innocent ?

American Bar Association calls for FBI investigation

I found it strange that Kavanaugh didn't want one. Are we really to believe she mixed up who assaulted her ?

Why doesn't he call her a liar ?

Doesn't really add up, you need to show a motive for all these women making accusations.

It seems that the only argument that the Republicans have is that the Democrats are using it to scupper the nomination. Isn't that what they're supposed to do ?
        The Americans I know who are expert in this tell me that the FBI declined to investigate as there is (in their view) insufficient evidence.

A Judge therefore would sound ridiculous asking them to then investigate when they themselves have ruled this out.

He doesn't call her a liar because any personal attack on her would be construed as indication of guilt by his enemies. It's an intelligent strategy when you are innocent.

The motive is political, everyone can see that.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
          The timing alone is enough to give one "reasonable doubt" as to the truth of her allegations.
          Not just hers - didn't a few of them suddenly materialize in a coordinated attempt to try and stop this nomination?

If they'd all come out when the rest of them did with all the other #metoo's it would look more credible. The timing of this just makes it look like an attempted power grab through exploiting a movement that's been over exploited already.

"Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            He is pro Trump piece of tulip, they would not have picked somebody who wasn’t compromised otherwise he won’t vote in court for GOPs mental policies

GOP - Evil Scum

And yes I think he did it - Supreme Court Judge (or any Judge) should be well above it
            I am probably about to make myself look stupid by replying to an AtW post.

However it is this sort of one-sided opinion that worries me. I don't like Trump. However there is plenty to destroy him without resorting to lies.

I have doubts about her testimony because of the length of time it has taken to come out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
              Not just hers - didn't a few of them suddenly materialize in a coordinated attempt to try and stop this nomination?

If they'd all come out when the rest of them did with all the other #metoo's it would look more credible. The timing of this just makes it look like an attempted power grab through exploiting a movement that's been over exploited already.

I did not think #metoo was over-exploited. Until my 16yo daughter told me that men had to suffer for thousands of years of female oppression. I might just cut off her mobile phone....

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                Every witness has denied the party happened and the people she claims were there all deny being there. Can't remember where or when either. Then there's the two men who have written under oath that the event she describes were in fact them.

Anyone who thinks this is has even the remotest shred of truth in it should be avoided at all costs, makes a good test of character.

Another riff on "everyone whose politics I disagree with is literally Hitler".
                So your argument is because everyone denies it, it must be untrue? Now wouldn't that save the courts loads of time and money... we just ask the accused to please tell the truth and then trust them.

As someone said above, both sides sound convincing. It highlights the problem of raising these things so far after the event - there ISN'T ANY evidence if people stick to their stories.

That it's resorted to asking him "were you ever sick from drinking beer at college?" and him defending "everyone knows I have a weak stomach" is clearly absurd. The idea you can pin someone as a gang-rapist because they got drunk as a kid...

We could say "this role is so important that the person must be beyond reproach, so even controversy around someone's past means they shouldn't be eligible". That's not exactly fair on the person, but perhaps it would be better for the country. There must be someone who has the qualifications and hasn't been accused of rape who could do it.

I wonder if this is the last generation it'll be like this - everything kids do now is recorded somewhere so there actually MIGHT be evidence people were in the same house at the time, even photos.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
                  I am probably about to make myself look stupid by replying to an AtW post.

However it is this sort of one-sided opinion that worries me. I don't like Trump. However there is plenty to destroy him without resorting to lies.
                  This - I don't think they'll learn and I dread to think what they will come up with if Trump wins the mid terms and even a second term. Will we see full scale antifa riots in the streets?

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
                  I did not think #metoo was over-exploited. Until my 16yo daughter told me that men had to suffer for thousands of years of female oppression. I might just cut off her mobile phone....
                  I saw as soon as it became a trending hashtag and a huge wave of women basking in the attention - whilst one who is very close to me that I know for a fact suffered very badly had no interest in publicizing what she'd been through.
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                    The Americans I know who are expert in this tell me that the FBI declined to investigate as there is (in their view) insufficient evidence.
                    No that isn't true, are they Republican by any chance ?

The FBI hasn't opened an investigation, if that's what you mean, because it isn't a federal crime, they must be asked by the president.

To find out there wasn't enough evidence to proceed would require an investigation, and there is no time limit on these crimes.

If there were to be an FBI investigation most people would accept it. Kavanaugh knows that would be the best way to get cleared if he really was innocent.

and why doesn't he call her out as a liar, the FBI would pull her apart ?
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

and hasn't been accused of rape
                      The accusation is of assault, but she felt he could have raped her. Personally it's her word vs his over an incident over 30 years ago about which neither have good recollection. She however is playing the 'it scarred me for life' card, despite the fact that she went to his/the room willingly.

Comment

Working...
                      X