• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Registered Offices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registered Offices

When I started contracting and formed a ltd. I used my home address for the company registered address. I've just come to switch my energy suppliers and been rejected as they say the property is a business and I can obtain a quote for a business supply if I wish.

I know I'm currently on domestic rates but I guess using my company email with a signature stating my registered offices as my home address is a bit of a giveaway

Question is, as I don't use my home as an office, am I correct in being on the domestic rate? should I just change my business address to my accountant (with their agreement of course)?

I don't think there's really an argument from their side for this - I think they're just trying it on. You don't pay business rates, it's not a commercial property, it's your personal residence etc etc - personally I'd go back and tell them to stop being bloody stupid. Having some Ltd Co post sent to an address doesn't suddenly stop it being a residential home. Maybe point out that it looks like a deliberate attempt to subvert your consumer rights by pushing you unnecessarily to a business tariff and you wonder how Ofgem would see the whole thing.

That said, I'd change your address - my accountants charge a few quid a month for being the registered office and postal forwarding, and most things allow you to set a separate correspondence address. (I.e, my bank docs come direct to me, no drama shipping stuff here etc etc). I thnk it looks more professional and if nothing else it keeps your address a little more private in terms of companies house, your e-mail signature etc. Some places do weird things with Ltd Co addresses, like if you search my old home post code on one hotel website it now shows my old company under my old home address.
    Last edited by vwdan; 30 September 2018, 12:52.

Comment

As vdwan said. I expect most contractors register their home address as the company address. It is perfectly normal for small or one person businesses.

Hmm. Maybe that explains why Talktalk suddenly stuck me on a business account and hiked my internet charges up a few years ago. Your energy suppliers may not be alone but there is really no justification for it.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
        I know I'm currently on domestic rates but I guess using my company email with a signature stating my registered offices as my home address is a bit of a giveaway
        If it looks like a business then of course some numpty may assume it is a business. Email the local authority to see if they think you should be paying business rates.

I presume this email signature was the only way they were made aware of you running a business from residential premises. I doubt they trawl companies house as part of any due diligence when taking on new customers or changing existing ones onto a new tariff.

Contact them by phone or via a non commercial looking email address and hope they haven't updated your record so they continue the assumption.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
        X