• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tag der Deutschen Einheit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Indeed calling spooter Lord Haw Haw suggests he might be Irish / American how disgusting!

Lord Haw-Haw - Wikipedia

Though we could describe him as a Scottish nationalist and that might be enough.

Scottish nationalists tried to forge Nazi alliance | UK news | The Guardian
    The madder extremes of the Welsh Nats were up to the same sort of thing.

Green :nazi:s
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Evidently not - but then that would imply that not everyone is 100% au fait with the free movement of 100 of thousands of people.

Who would've thought that.
      Since "au fait" means "having a good or detailed knowledge of.", I think most people do. If not 100% then certainly nudging it.

Best stick to a small vocabulary with words and phrases you know the meaning of.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Since "au fait" means "having a good or detailed knowledge of.", I think most people do. If not 100% then certainly nudging it.

Best stick to a small vocabulary with words and phrases you know the meaning of.
        synonyms: familiar, acquainted, conversant, at home, up to date, up with, in touch;

I was using it in that context - using I suppose a non literal translation meaning 'at home with' or 'comfortable with'

but obscure I will agree but not 100% incorrect?

Comment

synonyms: familiar, acquainted, conversant, at home, up to date, up with, in touch;

I was using it in that context - using I suppose a non literal translation meaning 'at home with' or 'comfortable with'

but obscure I will agree but not 100% incorrect?
          Synonyms are not definitions, they depend very much on context. Au fait has the definition I gave you. Other phrases or words may be appropriate, but you can't simply exchange one word/phrase for another. So "I am at home/comfortable/au fait with the workings of electrical systems" all convey the same idea.

You can't use it in the sense of agreeing with which is what you wanted to convey, I think.

Ignorant and innocent are synonyms. But I'd never say you're innocent.

Comment

Synonyms are not definitions, they depend very much on context. Au fait has the definition I gave you. Other phrases or words may be appropriate, but you can't simply exchange one word/phrase for another. So "I am at home/comfortable/au fait with the workings of electrical systems" all convey the same idea.

You can't use it in the sense of agreeing with which is what you wanted to convey, I think.

The phrase "auf fait with immigration" means understanding what immigration means, what it is about and how it works, therefore I think the phrase was appropriate .
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yes but if someone said to me - Opm we are going to this pub tonight I may say I am at home with that - meaning I am comfortable and happy with going to that pub.

Bit of a colloquialism I guess.

Comment

Yes but if someone said to me - Opm we are going to this pub tonight I may say I am at home with that - meaning I am comfortable and happy with going to that pub.

You mean some of our congregation don't understand cultural differences and feel it is ok to correct your mannerisms whilst trying to score points. Blimey I am shocked. Shut the front door!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

No... I think that's normal usage. If you said "we are going to this pub tonight I may say I am au fait with that", and that was common usage in your parts, then that'd be a colloquialism. Incorrect usage can of course transform into the mainstream over time. The great thing about the English language is that it isn't fixed.

Vetran, are you self-identifying as a fictional, large, animate egg?
                  Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  “When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”
                  Jolly good.

Comment

I'm a Natwit
                    I can sympathise with OPM. Its a cultural thing like innit - however annoying it is correct as we all don't speak BBC English anymore. You attacking posters for there culture is offensive.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

No... I think that's normal usage. If you said "we are going to this pub tonight I may say I am au fait with that", and that was common usage in your parts, then that'd be a colloquialism. Incorrect usage can of course transform into the mainstream over time. The great thing about the English language is that it isn't fixed.

Vetran, are you self-identifying as a fictional, large, animate egg?

Jolly good.
                      And hopefully one day you'll realise why you lost the argument. I'm not banking on that day happening any day soon though...
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X