• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Hipsters killed my traditional pie and mash shop after 128 years'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walking up to A.J. Goddard pie and mash shop, it’s clear that you’re entering a traditional sort of place. The St George’s Cross flies proudly from the shop front in Deptford, south-east London, and the word ‘traditional’ is emblazoned in large white letters onto the windows (in case you were in any doubt).

Inside, walls are adorned with old photographs of the cafe’s historic clientele, including local train and dockyard workers.

According to locals, “old-timer” Goddard has served as a bastion of traditional English cuisine since it opened in 1890, dishing out pie and mash to Deptford’s locals for just £3.50.

Is this a sly way of confessing that you're a Telegraph subscriber? Can't say I'm surprised.

People are vainer and want to watch their waistlines these days I suppose. We do support our local traditional pie shop but it's a once a month thing, it's the calories see?

Comment

can't be making much profit at £3.50

Won't even pay for a pint now.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'd rather have pie, mash, and liquor < or maybe hot eels> than avocado quiche and chia seed with Goji berry.

feckin' hipsters.

grrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
          Is this a sly way of confessing that you're a Telegraph subscriber? Can't say I'm surprised.
          Nope, would not give a penny to Daily Mail v2

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            can't be making much profit at £3.50

Won't even pay for a pint now.
            maybe a pint of granny toadsucker's old atrocious bitter, somewhere in the north of merrie olde engerlande??

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Nope, would not give a penny to Daily Mail v2

they too left wing for you?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post

People are vainer and want to watch their waistlines these days I suppose. We do support our local traditional pie shop but it's a once a month thing, it's the calories see?
                I fear all the people who like eel pie and mash have long since moved from Deptford to places like Basildon and Saahfend
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                X