• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Panasonic Plasma problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic Plasma problems

Morning All,

in the living room at Chateau Benes we have a Panasonic plasma which we bought ten years ago.

The thing has a problem, it is immortal, it won't die, and I refuse to be a sucker of consumerism and
    replace it when it still works.

And here's the problem, it would be fun to be able to use these contemporary "smart" features, but it hasn't got
    any.

And hence the question for the experts, on Amazon, there are a zillion set top boxes which will "smartify" your
    previous generation tv, but which one should I buy ?

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Morning All,

in the living room at Chateau Benes we have a Panasonic plasma which we bought ten years ago.

The thing has a problem, it is immortal, it won't die, and I refuse to be a sucker of consumerism and

And here's the problem, it would be fun to be able to use these contemporary "smart" features, but it hasn't got
    any.

And hence the question for the experts, on Amazon, there are a zillion set top boxes which will "smartify" your

Milan.
    Wait until next year and get your minion to acquire for you a new state of the art 8K TV

Comment

amazon TV stick / amazon fire tv (more cpu) both can be hard wired with the new ethernet add on.

That will give you access to the prime stuff & things like Iplayer (via a vpn cough).

You can also run Kodi on it (ok ish on the stick).
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Put it in the gaming room for the kids' PS4/Xbox or whatever. Buy one of these for you living room.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Morning All,

any.

Milan.
          I was in the same situation as you Panasonic Plasma TV just won't die. Anyway bought a big TV and relegated the Panasonic to the GYM (Garage) with an Amazon Fire TV box plugged into it. Fine for that.

The new TV picture is much better than the Panasonic, but the sound still rocks on the old Panasonic, not so much on the new TV.

Comment

I'd definitely buy a new TV - we just upgraded our 5 year old 1080p for a new 4k HDR blah de blah and it really is nice. I must admit the old one did break, though.

As for your question - Amazon Fire without a doubt. We purchased the more expensive one, dunno if that was worth it (Not that it's expensive) but it's a great bit of kit. The new TV has all the smart gubbins, but we're carrying on using the Fire.

I have Ethernet behind the TV, but the Fire is perfectly happy on wi-fi.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Put it in the gaming room for the kids' PS4/Xbox or whatever. Buy one of these for you living room.
              umm, is that price in CHF ?

if yes, I guess the fact I need to ask means I cannot afford it

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                amazon TV stick / amazon fire tv (more cpu) both can be hard wired with the new ethernet add on.

That will give you access to the prime stuff & things like Iplayer (via a vpn cough).

You can also run Kodi on it (ok ish on the stick).

the amazon stick,

a) does it work on the mainland ?

b) I amazon prime free view, I refuse to pay for tv

c) does the amazon stick have the YouTube apps and web browsing capabilities

a good quality set top box with a youtube app and web browser is all we need

Milan.

Comment

the amazon stick,

a) does it work on the mainland ?

b) I amazon prime free view, I refuse to pay for tv

c) does the amazon stick have the YouTube apps and web browsing capabilities

a good quality set top box with a youtube app and web browser is all we need

Milan.
                  You really don't like spending the dosh! It's people like you that mean I have to spend more to carry the economy.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    You really don't like spending the dosh! It's people like you that mean I have to spend more to carry the economy.
                    you got me

and it's not the first time people have told me it's because of people like me that there are financial criseses.

I don't like spending hard earned, and have an allergy to full ticket prices

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X