• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ClientCo not allowing working from home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skag View Post
    I informed (not asked) my ClientCo that I will work from home the next day.
    I was told by ClientCo "I don't see the reason why you should".

What's this in terms of IR35? I'm pretty sure that falls under control.
    There is no mention in my contract the hours or place of work. Should I just use this information? Or should I tell the ClientCo reasons such as "helps me concentrate" and "reduce my commuting time"?
    Did you actually discuss working from home at all or did you just decided you wanted to do it and dropped it on the client? Looking at that response I'm guessing the latter.

It would have be courteous to discuss it before hand, and IMO, spent a good time on site getting a good reputation before starting to WFH.

If you'd discussed it first and understood your options I don't think it would be as much an issue. Nothing wrong with providing the client the professional courtesy to supply services that suit his needs, which may happen to be 100% on site. Just because WFH is not available it doesn't mean you are being controlled. Trying to force it on the client and getting reined in could be.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 11 October 2018, 14:33.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If your job is bleeding radiators then it's not surprising they won't let you WFH.

Do you like Gladiators?

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        RoS is Right Of Substitution. Just because there is a clause in there it doesn't mean it's acceptable. It has to be unfettered. The client does not have the decision to take them or not as long as they are qualified.

Did you get your contract checked before you started?
        RoS is in my contract, and I did get it checked with QDos. It passed the IR35, and some extra optional suggestions were added.

Comment

Did you actually discuss working from home at all or did you just decided you wanted to do it and dropped it on the client? Looking at that response I'm guessing you did.

It would have be courteous to discuss it before hand, and IMO, spent a good time on site getting a good reputation before starting to WFH.

If you'd discussed it first and understood your options I don't think it would be as much an issue. Nothing wrong with providing the client the professional courtesy to supply services that suit his needs, which may happen to be 100% on site. Just because WFH is not available it doesn't mean you are being controlled. Trying to force it on the client and getting reined in could be.
          You guessed right, I did not. I assumed, and we all know assumption is the mother of all... Of course next time I will know better.
          It's just such a relaxed company, and I know for fact at least once per week everyone is WFH. Given my responsibilities though, I don't think I need to be in the office 100%, as much of the work I do is in my desk...So it just leads me to believe that I've fallen on some controlling freak's lap.

Comment

Do you like Gladiators?
            Huh? Throwing some market research in the mix?

Comment

You guessed right, I did not. I assumed, and we all know assumption is the mother of all... Of course next time I will know better.
              It's just such a relaxed company, and I know for fact at least once per week everyone is WFH. Given my responsibilities though, I don't think I need to be in the office 100%, as much of the work I do is in my desk...So it just leads me to believe that I've fallen on some controlling freak's lap.
              Slightly worrying that you see the permies doing something and believe by default you can. Kinda messing with your own IR35 status.

You've got to see it the other way around though. Some bod you hardly know rocks up and just says I'm WFH out of the blue. The default answer to that should be 'are you fook' just on principle with no regards if it's possible or not.

This guy is your client. He pays your company a lot of money. You can't be controlled by him but that doesn't mean you can just roll over him. Like any supplier/customer situation you can be professional and courteous. Spend a couple of weeks on site and deliver hard, build up some respect and good rep. THEN you can discuss the situation the WFH opportunities to which he won't have a problem as you've proven yourself. Just rock up and stick it to him is second only to mailing him in the morning from home as the worst way to do it.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 11 October 2018, 14:38.

Comment

Slightly worrying that you see the permies doing something and believe by default you can. Kinda messing with your own IR35 status.

true true

Comment

You've got to see it the other way around though. Some bod you hardly know rocks up and just says I'm WFH out of the blue. The default answer to that should be 'are you fook' just on principle with no regards if it's possible or not.

This guy is your client. He pays your company a lot of money. You can't be controlled by him but that doesn't mean you can just roll over him. Like any supplier/customer situation you can be professional and courteous. Spend a couple of weeks on site and deliver hard, build up some respect and good rep. THEN you can discuss the situation the WFH opportunities to which he won't have a problem as you've proven yourself. Just rock up and stick it to him is second only to mailing him in the morning from home as the worst way to do it.
                  I like your approach, and you're, objectively speaking, correct. I think I got a bit too fanatic under the "thou shall not control!" part of contracting. I guess we never stop learning. Thanks for the answer.

Comment

I informed (not asked) my ClientCo that I will work from home the next day.
                    I was told by ClientCo "I don't see the reason why you should".

What's this in terms of IR35? I'm pretty sure that falls under control.
                    There is no mention in my contract the hours or place of work. Should I just use this information? Or should I tell the ClientCo reasons such as "helps me concentrate" and "reduce my commuting time"?

I am surprised they did not inform you (not asked) that you might as well stay home

Comment

trick is to do it gradually, its a seduction.

Start, yes of course I can do that out of hours stuff, but need to do it for home.

after a few months they start saying how are you enjoying it working at home? Its really convenient for us.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X