• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ClientCo not allowing working from home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    trick is to do it gradually, its a seduction.

Start, yes of course I can do that out of hours stuff, but need to do it for home.

after a few months they start saying how are you enjoying it working at home? Its really convenient for us.
    Problem with a lot of contractors is they seem to be on the autistic spectrum. They think shoving a piece of paper with some contract words on it gets them everything.

Little do they know, that come contract renewal time it's

People skills and you can work from home everyday and end up with contract after contract.

Oh, and **** HMR&C and their bulltulip "disguised employee" rules.

Comment

Only MarillionFan class heavyweights can pull this tulip and still keep the contract.

HTH

Comment

Must admit I can't believe the OP did that. i.e. Slapped it down to the client that he was working from home like it or not.

Unless theres been some discussion in advance, then surely, you can't "assume" you can do what you like. Theres IR35 and control etc and theres throwing your weight about.

And saying the permies do it so I should be able to? Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Sorry but stropping like a prima donna contractor and demanding you're rights is a quick fire way not to get an extension. I've seen it a few times with other contractors who come across as "awkward" - the client just thinks sod it.

Yes with IR35 there are "issues" to stick with but pick your battles....

Opposite for me at current client. Its local so I dont care about WFH but they've said now - we want all permies and contractors to work from home a few days a week. OK if thats what you want!
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I turned up to the client office today naked with a carrot up my arse and they told me not to turn up like this. How dare they control me - Im a contractor and its up to me what I stick up my arse

Comment

Originally posted by Skag View Post
            I would think of this as the last resort, but thanks for the suggestion

Mutuality of obligation and substitution are in my contract, but haven't exercised them, and I don't think I will even need to.

Again, I don't want to pull the "it's in the contract" argument unless I have to. On the other hand, we did not agree from the start that I could work from home at least once per week.

ClientCo also mentioned that despite most people working from home on Friday, our team doesn't, so it's good to have the team all together.

I think it's the case that they don't know how to work with contractors?
            Or they're the ones with the cash so its up to them maybe?

Comment

Working...
            X