• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad news for contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All over the western world all parties now pander to globalist mega-corps and the little-man be damned. Hence populism.

Quite a few on here are very opposed to this populism, very odd indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic View Post
      I'm sorry but Tories are well known to pander to the top 1%. They don't mind doing over the middle class. They are for business just not the business of everyone else but a select few. Only people who are to blame are the voters for giving them a second chance even though they have been screwing over the contractors for the past 8 years like no one's business so now they have nothing to lose and going for broke. Say bye bye to small businesses as it will become unaffordable as the clients will not increase rates and the fact you cannot claim expenses means contracting will be good as dead.
      They didn't use to pander to the top 1%. Thatcher got the landslides as she provided a route for the lower classes to become middle classes.
      The fact that part of that was done by fooking up the lowest classes didn't stop her getting elected.

The only think the Tories have even been consistent about is maintenance of power at any cost. They are now just another tax and spend party with no radical agenda (Brexit being a mistake they didn't wish for) at all.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It's bad news for the economy to.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
          All over the western world all parties now pander to globalist mega-corps and the little-man be damned. Hence populism.

Yes, I think you hit the nail right on the head here - it's insidious.

I was talking to the wife of a pet shop owner the other night (well, ex pet shop owner) and she was telling me that her hubby just couldn't compete with the new "Pets R Us" style mega store that's opened on the edge of town (where rates are cheap too). Yes, the mega corps seem to be getting the monopoly on every traditional high street business.

And it's easy to say vote with your feet but when all the standalone high st businesses are gone and only the mega corps remain you're a bit stuck.

Comment

If you tolerate this then your children will be next

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
              I don't get it either to be honest. The current system is irretrievably broken.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Well they have a point. How many of you have multiple contracts on the go at once (like a builder for example)?
                i often have multiple clients at the same time. i had two on the go for in q1 and got another two on the go now (since sept and probably until dec).

How many of you provide more than just 'a disguised employee' type service to your clients?
                some clients don't quite get it and some integrators try to disguise me as one of theirs but i'm not a de. i walk away from contracts that start becoming like that but that's because i can - it is not so easy in the early days when war-chest growth is the primary goal.

How many of you have regular repeat customers as opposed to taking what you can can get from an agency?
                not really regularly but i have worked with clients repeatedly. out of 18 clients over 15 years 5 of them have repeated (usually years later) and a couple have repeated more than twice.

How many of you simply use the ltd company as a handy way to avoid tax?
                you mean a handy way to be efficient and maximise financial position rather than avoidance. do you think i should do the opposite and seek a way to pay as much tax as possible?

Comment

Fair for IT contracting

it bring level playing field now

Comment

Originally posted by RobScott View Post
                    it bring level playing field now
                    How?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      How?

Comment