• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Technical Interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technical Interview

Second one I've had where it's an endless barrage of esoteric technical questions, the likes of which I honestly don't believe anyone I have ever worked with or anyone in my network would be able to answer.

I got around 80% of them right but the remaining 20% were in serious wft territory.

Seems to be the new norm, in which case studying up on deliberately arcane interview questions is a must for survival.

Anyone else had this?

Flame away, you can't make me feel worse.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Second one I've had where it's an endless barrage of esoteric technical questions, the likes of which I honestly don't believe anyone I have ever worked with or anyone in my network would be able to answer.

I got around 80% of them right but the remaining 20% were in serious wft territory.
    Need examples of the 20% to gauge whether it's you or them, please be reverting
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Pointless middle management tw@ trying to be superior by eating a text book and then asking obscure questions.

best option is to walk away you will not want to work for them anyway.

Comment

Esoteric technical questions are usually asked by the technically illiterate because they have no other way of judging ability. They should investigate approach and attitude rather than concentrate on banal knowledge which is easy to access via t'Internet. Being able to parrot the merits of Lambda expressions for example doesn't mean a person is able to use such things intelligently. What you've done and achieved is the best judge of suitability

Comment

Aha! A challenge.

I used to ask some very obscure questions when interviewing - mainly to see whether the candidate would waffle or simply admit not knowing the answer. This was especially important when we were screening InfoSys employees.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Seems to be the new norm, in which case studying up on deliberately arcane interview questions is a must for survival.

Anyone else had this?

I've had as a IT trainer, these esoteric technical questions pop up during the tech interviews. I very carefully inquire why as to the nature of the questions asked and I've found 9/10 that they want besides a set piece project of training people, another person covering elements which weren't included within the original job spec for the project.

I very flatly refuse trying to learn by rote questions which might be asked simply to appease the interviewers, I will know when I apply for a job I have the skills demanded for the project. It will always be Christmas wish list syndrome when it comes down to tech interviews, unless they have a very good reason to ask the question then frankly not worth my time as the interview is not so much about myself but also about the people interviewing you and they can't give justified reason as to why they asked you the question then you can get a clear picture of the people you will be dealing with.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              Need examples of the 20% to gauge whether it's you or them, please be reverting
              Why does C# not support multiple inheritance?

In SOLID principles, what is meant by the Liskov Substitution principal?

Comment

Why does C# not support multiple inheritance?

In SOLID principles, what is meant by the Liskov Substitution principal?
                FFS, I'm not a code monkey, and even I know the answer to the latter. I could probably guess the former too.

Comment

Does this mean I am a bad developer and shouldn't be hired?
                  Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  FFS, I'm not a code monkey, and even I know the answer to the latter. I could probably guess the former too.

Comment

Does this mean I am a bad developer and shouldn't be hired?

No, I suppose it's possible to be a good developer without being aware of the theory, but I would venture that there are more bad developers in the latter category.

Plus we know your history.

Comment

Working...
                    X