• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Technical Interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have read about SOLID principles now, and all I have learned is that I already knew the principles from conventional wisdom and best practice, and that if anyone else asks me about it in an interview I can hog some air time rattling off the definition and opining about subjective design principles.
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    No, I suppose it's possible to be a good developer without being aware of the theory, but I would venture that there are more bad developers in the latter category.

Plus we know your history.
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      I have read about SOLID principles now, and all I have learned is that I already knew the principles from conventional wisdom and best practice, and that if anyone else asks me about it in an interview I can hog some air time rattling off the definition and opining about subjective design principles.

I think you're saying you develop with "common sense" like, say, a brickie might develop code?

Comment

That's the way to do it. I try to keep up with the jargon, but nine times out of ten it's a case of finding out that somebody has given a fancy name to something blindingly obvious, presumably to make it sound more impressive than it is, or possibly because they only learned about it in some purely academic setting rather than by writing code in the real world

Comment

Last week for a company in London they provided a SQL test that you did at home it consisted of:

A couple of basic SQL queries to handle numbers & text with careful phrasing to catch you out.
          Some indexing query optimisation on a large data set, fastest run wins. Would have been quick if they hadn't disabled the showplan and hence execution plan tool. I thought I was a gynaecologist.

Then they had how do we make this query faster? Answer don't use aggregate functions with varchar(1000) fields, the disk must have been going like Shakira's hips.

It was made unnecessarily awkward and took up too much time. Though it had merit, I did learn something because I had to use SQL 2000 type of toolset but that was a bit of a waste as who wants SQL 2000?

I aced it of course

and the visual for your delectation, I believe Wyclef Jean appears as well but I didn't notice.

Next one was for a consultancy 50 questions in 45 minutes before the first interview with HR is even scheduled,I am waiting for the second interview with a consultant before the panel interview & MD.

The test was across a broad range and asked for definitions, problem solving etc.

I got through to the HR interview despite not answering all the questions in the allotted time. I'm just that good.

Exhausting but I imagine they manage to exclude a good portion of chancers with that by taking 5 minutes to send out a test on each CV that gets past the bin.

I thought that test was entirely appropriate and would gladly take that sort of screening test again because it makes sense.

I have had a few face to face tests about modelling or situations and normally manage to find something they have missed, those make sense because you get to see how your prospective colleague's brain works and how well.

In a final interview I was asked to effectively interview my prospective new reports to see how they would work with me and if they liked me. That was fun, even if I don't take the job their next level manager now knows what they want to do technically in the next 5 years and what is broken technically.I wasn't cruel and encouraged their enthusiasm. It took some time to gain their confidence but it was worth it.Watching the bosses eyebrow rise and realisation dawn was priceless, having spent about 4 hours talking to him in the process I was certain he would see it as an opportunity I suspect both of them will soon have a new personal project to complete.

I think its useful to use some standardised tests and techniques as part of the recruitment process but they need to be relevant and quick. If they aren't then they tell you a lot about the company if they aren't respectful of a candidate's time.
          Last edited by vetran; 13 October 2018, 12:14. Reason: so that's how you spell his name.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            That's the way to do it. I try to keep up with the jargon, but nine times out of ten it's a case of finding out that somebody has given a fancy name to something blindingly obvious, presumably to make it sound more impressive than it is, or possibly because they only learned about it in some purely academic setting rather than by writing code in the real world
            And one time out of ten it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              And one time out of ten it isn't.
              And that one time, it's a term dreamt up by Marketing that doesn't mean anything at all

Comment

Second one I've had where it's an endless barrage of esoteric technical questions, the likes of which I honestly don't believe anyone I have ever worked with or anyone in my network would be able to answer.

I got around 80% of them right but the remaining 20% were in serious wft territory.

Seems to be the new norm, in which case studying up on deliberately arcane interview questions is a must for survival.

Anyone else had this?

Flame away, you can't make me feel worse.

You have to take a marble statue (1000 kg) from one side of a swimming pool to the other using a rowing boat.

half way across, the statue falls out and sinks to the bottom. At the point the statue falls out of the boat, does the water level in the pool rise or fall ?
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

What is the surface area of the hull that was submerged before the statue fell, the dimensions of the boat, the total dissolved solids measurement of the pool water and does the leisure centre have fernox in its radiators?
                  Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  You have to take a marble statue (1000 kg) from one side of a swimming pool to the other using a rowing boat.

half way across, the statue falls out and sinks to the bottom. At the point the statue falls out of the boat, does the water level in the pool rise or fall ?
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

supplementary question What do you do after this?

Call the interviewer a muppet & leave the room.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      And that one time, it's a term dreamt up by Marketing that doesn't mean anything at all
                      Are you in marketing?

Comment

Working...
                      X