• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Technical Interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's always the Belgian Air Component, suity.

Comment

I had a technical phone interview last year. They asked a really open ended question (which I've now stolen) along the lines of 'Explain x and y in as much detail as you can' so I took a deep breath and imparted my knowledge onto them into excruciating detail.

Ten mins later I've got the agent on the phone sorting me a start date. Guy who asked it later admitted he was struggling not to laugh as I took the piss out of his question and left no doubt I knew my tulip.

So maybe try that?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        That's the way to do it. I try to keep up with the jargon, but nine times out of ten it's a case of finding out that somebody has given a fancy name to something blindingly obvious, presumably to make it sound more impressive than it is, or possibly because they only learned about it in some purely academic setting rather than by writing code in the real world
        This.

In the early days of C++ I was interviewed for an ICL project where they'd decided to implement in C++.

I'd done objected oriented courses, had plenty of experience with the Glockenspiel development environment - the C++ was precompiled to "C" and then recompiled using a "C" compiler.

Anyway, sat opposite me was the Project Manager and a Techie they'd hired from Finland.

The Techie started asking some really esoteric questions - Stroustrup might've struggled with some of these. I answered to the best of my ability in a way that the PM would understand. The Finnish guy was practically screaming at me by the end of the interview "No, you are not correct! It says here..." and that is when I turned to the PM and said "I am answering the questions in a manner that proves I understand the question, not as someone who has the C++ bible open in front of me. I am obviously wasting your time and to be quite frank, you're wasting mine. I'll show myself out!"

It happens.

Suck it up, move on.

But - and this is very important, don't piss on your shoes!

On a serious note, good luck with the next one.
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          There's always the Belgian Air Component, suity.

Crap reporting.

The aircraft caught fire and caused the onboard ammunition to explode, damaging another aircraft close by and the hearing of a couple of ground crew.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            Crap reporting.

The aircraft caught fire and caused the onboard ammunition to explode, damaging another aircraft close by and the hearing of a couple of ground crew.

ah that makes sense. I sort of assumed all the firing controls are disabled on the ground?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Are you in marketing?
              No he would have said it was a beautiful name meant to capture the essential wonder of the product.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                Crap reporting.
                Update on suity's job options. Belgian Air Component or Belgian press.

Comment

Update on suity's job options. Belgian Air Component or Belgian press.
                  Only if he can pass the technical test....

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    Does this mean I am a bad developer and shouldn't be hired?
                    Come on Suity, we have known you long enough to know you are not a bad developer.

Absolute tulip, yes, but not bad.

Last edited by DimPrawn; 14 October 2018, 19:57.

Comment

Working...
                    X