• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client thinks that I am not doing work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is always an escalation path. Chase again, copy in the complaining manager. Ask the people you're chasing if there is someone else you ought to contact as they are too busy to assist with your enquiries. Most organisations have an internal directory that tells you who their line manager is, cc them in too.

Get everything you do in writing. Whilst you can achieve a lot in a phone call or face to face meeting, always, always follow up with a written record of the discussion points, agreements, actions and their owners and dates for update/completion.

Comment

All meeting should have an agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
        All meeting should have an agenda.
        If it's singular then it's agendum.

You could say 'all meetings should have agenda', or 'all meetings should have an agendum'.

HTH
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

You could say 'all meetings should have agenda', or 'all meetings should have an agendum'.

HTH
          Thanks Lance, that's been worrying me recently.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
            Being a contractor is about doing what's necessary whether its in the job description or not. You're employed to produce a tangible benefit and not merely to be there. Don't wait to hear back from people but accost them and facilitate the requirement
            Oh hell no.....

Doing anything other than what you are contracted to do is D&C and a big IR35 flag.
            It's not a job description.
            You are not employed by them.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Oh hell no.....

Doing anything other than what you are contracted to do is D&C and a big IR35 flag.
              It's not a job description.
              You are not employed by them.
              When is IR35 an issue? In case someone from HMRC comes and checks the office one fine day ?
              Also my contract is quite vague on my remit at this contract. So by reading it one should get "ok so you're a software developer", and that's about it.

Comment

HTH
                According to the Oxford English Dictionary on my desk, "agenda" is a plural noun that is used as the singular. "An agendum" can be used as an alternative to "an agenda", but it's use is rarer. "An agenda" is perfectly correct in English.

Just of interest, here's the usage of the alternatives.

Back on topic...

Do you have a date when things will be unblocked? Is there a specific meeting that you need to have first? If you know that you can't do anything useful until next Wednesday, explain to your manager that rather than charge them for not doing much, you'll leave the office now and you'll be back on Wednesday, when you will be able to progress,
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by dogquoteplus View Post
                  When is IR35 an issue? In case someone from HMRC comes and checks the office one fine day ?
                  Also my contract is quite vague on my remit at this contract. So by reading it one should get "ok so you're a software developer", and that's about it.
                  ^^^^ this ^^^^^ is the reason why IR35 exists and why most of the population think we're just tax dodgers.
                  You are a disguised employee.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

As for the actual problem.
                    You're not there to make friends so if you need to upset people to deliver then that's what you must do. Either hound the blockers, or escalate until you get what you need.

Raise risks as well as that allows you to transfer responsibility in a formal fashion.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

^^^^ this ^^^^^ is the reason why IR35 exists and why most of the population think we're just tax dodgers.
                      You are a disguised employee.
                      I checked it with a 3rd party company and passed the IR35 though...

Comment

Working...
                      X