• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client thinks that I am not doing work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client thinks that I am not doing work

This is my first contract.
    ClientCo has given me a few tasks that need to be done, and these are now blocked by other managers i.e. I am waiting to hear back from them.
    This has been going on for a couple of days despite me chasing them.
    ClientCo asked me what I have done in the last 2 days, and I reported that these things are blocked for a couple of days now so I can't move on. ClientCo then said to me with a bit of an attitude "so you haven't done much then, have you?".

Now, part of this is the individual who may have crap manners, but the other part is that the job appointed to me is blocked. I think they expect me to be proactive and do something, but it's beyond my capabilities or remit.

On the other hand, the role description in my contract is somewhat vague, however ClientCo and I, both know what my actual remit is for this role. I just feel they are annoyed that they're burning money away due to their slowness (and I'm at a high rate).

How would you handle this?

be resourceful, don't depend on others, then dazzle
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It can be a pain when you think you arent earning your way. As long as you have told them not sure what else you can do. You could offer to do other client work and tell them to get back to you when they have some work for you.

Comment

Being a contractor is about doing what's necessary whether its in the job description or not. You're employed to produce a tangible benefit and not merely to be there. Don't wait to hear back from people but accost them and facilitate the requirement

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          be resourceful, don't depend on others, then dazzle
          Imagine someone tells you, go and work with team X, and that team is not there. You can't do much, can you.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
            Being a contractor is about doing what's necessary whether its in the job description or not. You're employed to produce a tangible benefit and not merely to be there. Don't wait to hear back from people but accost them and facilitate the requirement
            I understand your point, but we're talking about saying things to people that senior directors should say, and should not come from my mouth. I can't just over-rule senior management. I've been told not to do so too.

Comment

Rock and hard place...

but that is why you get £500 per day and not £40k per year.

Also you will find permie managers will block you because they are jealous of what you earn and because that's just the way some ******* want to work.

understand not everyone wants you to be successful and some people will take pleasure in making your life difficult and seeing you fail

so unfortunately either make it happen or move on

as a contractor you need to get used to confronting people and having the hard conversations.

Comment

Your answer is "no I haven't done much" and then grin.

or alternatively ask him what you should do, I think you should still grin though.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by dogquoteplus View Post
                  This is my first contract.
                  ClientCo has given me a few tasks that need to be done, and these are now blocked by other managers i.e. I am waiting to hear back from them.
                  This has been going on for a couple of days despite me chasing them.
                  ClientCo asked me what I have done in the last 2 days, and I reported that these things are blocked for a couple of days now so I can't move on. ClientCo then said to me with a bit of an attitude "so you haven't done much then, have you?".

Now, part of this is the individual who may have crap manners, but the other part is that the job appointed to me is blocked. I think they expect me to be proactive and do something, but it's beyond my capabilities or remit.

On the other hand, the role description in my contract is somewhat vague, however ClientCo and I, both know what my actual remit is for this role. I just feel they are annoyed that they're burning money away due to their slowness (and I'm at a high rate).

How would you handle this?
                  Make sure you have in email or written documents, your correspondence with the managers who are blocking tasks. Bounce back to clientco that they either need to apply pressure on the other managers to speed things up. If they can't do this or bounce back you are responsible solely for this, then simply do in your situation some prep work and make sure that if asked that while you wait that you are preparing for the next stages after the aforementioned tasks.

You are not emotional punchbag for clientco's frustration but don't give them room to take swings at you.

Comment

Phone the manager. Failing that arrange a meeting.

Comment

Working...
                    X