• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client thinks that I am not doing work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    If you've already signed it then yes it's too late.

It's pretty immaterial though. You may have a contract that on the surface puts you outside IR35 but if the working practises don't match the contract it's moot as a tribunal will make a determination on what you actually do.
    Sure, but it's nice to have it in writing, singed and agreed to fall back to if need be. Afterall, ClientCo has as much responsibility to know what's written as I do.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Your answer is "no I haven't done much" and then grin.

or alternatively ask him what you should do, I think you should still grin though.

Or "I've been invoicing"

Comment

Originally posted by dogquoteplus View Post
        Sure, but it's nice to have it in writing, singed and agreed to fall back to if need be. Afterall, ClientCo has as much responsibility to know what's written as I do.
        Haven't you just answered the question why should you have a detailed SoW and not just a job spec?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Haven't you just answered the question why should you have a detailed SoW and not just a job spec?
          Yes, as I came to realize through this thread. As it's my first contract and I've always been a permie in the past, I wasn't aware of the significance of this clause for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by dogquoteplus View Post
            This is my first contract.
            ClientCo has given me a few tasks that need to be done, and these are now blocked by other managers i.e. I am waiting to hear back from them.
            This has been going on for a couple of days despite me chasing them.
            ClientCo asked me what I have done in the last 2 days, and I reported that these things are blocked for a couple of days now so I can't move on. ClientCo then said to me with a bit of an attitude "so you haven't done much then, have you?".

Now, part of this is the individual who may have crap manners, but the other part is that the job appointed to me is blocked. I think they expect me to be proactive and do something, but it's beyond my capabilities or remit.

On the other hand, the role description in my contract is somewhat vague, however ClientCo and I, both know what my actual remit is for this role. I just feel they are annoyed that they're burning money away due to their slowness (and I'm at a high rate).

How would you handle this?
            So your client doesn't think you are doing any work, and your response is to piss about on the internet?

**** me you must have balls the size of coconuts
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              So your client doesn't think you are doing any work, and your response is to piss about on the internet?

**** me you must have balls the size of coconuts
              I've earned it

Comment

Sometimes you get these non-gigs. It's part of what we do. Occasionally the right thing to do is say thanks but no thanks and go.

I did 6 weeks at a gig and they didn't give me a bean of work in all that time. I absolutely hated it. Slowly ramped up from offering to help, asking for work, advising I've got no work and ending up I feel it should be best to go as I've nothing to do.

I got the offer to do some other crappy bits of work which I declined.

I suggested one morning that the client is burning money and I'm frustrated. How about we leave it here and if the work kicks off and I'm available I come back. Left at lunch and that was that.

Sometimes it is the way it is.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sometimes you get these non-gigs. It's part of what we do. ...
                  i hate those jobs so much. i had one this time last year for a well known accounting / auditing / integrating firm who asked me to do my niche thing for their end-client. i knew it would come with the typical early-start to late-finish hierarchical madness that is rife with these firms but i was on the bench...

the job was a nonsense from the start. there was almost nothing to do. i told the integrator that i had nothing to do and i told the end-client the same but end-client upper management wanted a resource to be available and the integrator were happy to have me on-site and invoicing. 4 months of trying to look busy on-site 4 days a week from 8 until 8. i was bloody happy to get back on the bench.

Comment

Sometimes you get these non-gigs. It's part of what we do. Occasionally the right thing to do is say thanks but no thanks and go.

I did 6 weeks at a gig and they didn't give me a bean of work in all that time. I absolutely hated it. Slowly ramped up from offering to help, asking for work, advising I've got no work and ending up I feel it should be best to go as I've nothing to do.

I got the offer to do some other crappy bits of work which I declined.

I suggested one morning that the client is burning money and I'm frustrated. How about we leave it here and if the work kicks off and I'm available I come back. Left at lunch and that was that.

Sometimes it is the way it is.
                    Nice one northernladuk, I suppose it is.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                      i hate those jobs so much. i had one this time last year for a well known accounting / auditing / integrating firm who asked me to do my niche thing for their end-client. i knew it would come with the typical early-start to late-finish hierarchical madness that is rife with these firms but i was on the bench...

the job was a nonsense from the start. there was almost nothing to do. i told the integrator that i had nothing to do and i told the end-client the same but end-client upper management wanted a resource to be available and the integrator were happy to have me on-site and invoicing. 4 months of trying to look busy on-site 4 days a week from 8 until 8. i was bloody happy to get back on the bench.
                      Blimey, that sucks indeed! I don't know if I could last for that long trying to look busy. After a point I think I'm burning my time away.

Comment

Working...
                      X