• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Problem with a new contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with a new contractor

Got a new starter this week, looks like it is his first gig.

Problem is - I don’t think he is doing any work.

Any suggestions how to handle it?

call him out.

then ruin his IR35 status by making him clean the bogs
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Wait until he starts acting like Billy Big Balls and slaps it on you that he's WFH tomorrow and then just bin his sorry arse.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think you need to take some time to understand what blockers he's experiencing that make it look like he's not doing any work. There may be ways you could support him; he doesn't have the insight into the organisation that you do. It takes a while to work out who the various personalities are.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Wait until he starts acting like Billy Big Balls and slaps it on you that he's WFH tomorrow and then just bin his sorry arse.
          and don't sign his time sheet either
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

i'd ask him how his deliverables are coming on. you know, what percentage done and estimated completion time... that kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Try a group hug or an afternoon group beating with branches in the banya,
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Ask him if he's any good at squirrel hunting.

PS: Did you really buy a sofa from DFS?
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Are you a permie or a contractor?

If the latter, not your problem, if you are the former get rid of them
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    I think you need to take some time to understand what blockers he's experiencing that make it look like he's not doing any work. There may be ways you could support him; he doesn't have the insight into the organisation that you do. It takes a while to work out who the various personalities are.
                    That is such a girly response! We are contractors, we don't do touchy feely soft skills bulltulip
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X