• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So it begins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it begins

Hammond: Any Budget tax rises 'will be absolute minimum'

The chancellor has opened the door to tax rises in the Budget, saying the government "may have to raise a little more tax" to pay for the NHS.

Philip Hammond told the BBC he wanted to "minimise" any impact on the economy if taxes had to rise to cover the £20bn spending boost pledged for the NHS.

"We may have to raise a little more tax in order to support the NHS and deliver on our pledge," he said.

However, he added, "I am a low-tax Tory." (AtW's comment: )

Speaking to me at the International Monetary Fund annual meeting in Bali, Mr Hammond said that if taxes have to go up, "it's important that we do it in a way that minimises any negative impact on the economy, minimises the effect on people".

"I will always do everything I can to minimise the necessity for any increases in taxation, and to keep the burden of taxes as low as I possibly can," he said.

He refused to commit to keeping Conservative election manifesto promises made last year to raise the income tax threshold - so that workers pay less tax - and cut corporation tax for businesses.

"These are both very important commitments that were made," he said.

"We've also made a very important commitment to a big increase in funding for the National Health Service, something that we didn't anticipate at the time we wrote our manifesto.

"We're being very open and frank with the British people that if we're going to have rising standards of healthcare, with an ageing population in a world where technology is constantly making new treatments available, we are going to have to pay a little more to support that."

Hammond: Any Budget tax rises 'will be absolute minimum' - BBC News

And? - nothing new here, it's what governments do.
    and they blame the previous lot for the problem. in every country i've been in.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

as they say in kazakhstan

Comment

The older I get, the angrier I get.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        The older I get, the angrier I get.
        Speak softly, and carry a big stick

Comment

Theresa May’s Conservatives will deliver

• The best possible deal for Britain as we leave
          the European Union delivered by a smooth,
          orderly Brexit.
          • A strong and stable Union, with no divisive
          Scottish referendum at this time.
          • A United Kingdom Shared Prosperity Fund,
          taken from money coming back to the UK
          as we leave the EU, to reduce inequalities
          between communities across our four nations.
          • Global leadership on development, backed by
          spending 0.7 per cent of our national income
          with new rules to spend it more effectively.
          • Strong defence, meeting our NATO target
          of at least 2 per cent of GDP and increasing
          spending by at least half a per cent more than
          inflation every year.
          • Security from crime and terrorism, backed by
          a new national infrastructure police force, a
          stronger response to white collar crime and
          our world-leading counter-terrorism strategy

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/c...sperous....pdf

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            Speak softly, and carry an AK